Always on? 

PBA in local amateur events
Old 03-30-2017, 02:23 PM
BBE Rules!

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback
PBA in local amateur events

Am I alone in saying amateur bowlers shouldn't have to go against someone holding a PBA card? I feel if you are that well practiced I shouldn't see you at the local match games beating up on the little guys. Right now we have a PBA card holder taking 7 wins this season. Just don't see this as a fair cut.

Re: PBA in local amateur events
Old 03-30-2017, 02:45 PM
Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

They have to bowl somewhere when they are not bowling in regionals or national events.

Now, is it ethically responsible for a PBA member to bowl in a local amateur event? That's a whole other issue. In some cases it may be, in others it may not be, depending on the situation.

Unless the local tournament rules state that no current PBA members may participate, then it is just something that can possibly happen. I had it happen in a local no-tap doubles tournament. Why a regional PBA bowler entered a no-tap tournament using a THS is beyond me, but they did [and they won first place]. Goes back to the ethical perspective of the issue.

There are lots of PBA card holders. It doesn't necessarily mean they are the cream of the crop. If you are talking about a PBA member that is well-known and makes their living from bowling, then that could be frustrating.
Radical Primo (OOB)
Columbia300 White Dot

Old 03-30-2017, 02:56 PM
BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 18 reviews
iTrader Rating: (18)
Submit Trade Feedback
milorafferty's eBay Home Page

Without a real PBA tour, these folks will continue to bottom feed off these tournaments.

I can't say I blame them, the PBA doesn't pay squat. Last year, E.J. Tackett was the leading money winner in the PBA with $168,290.

Source: https://www.pba.com/SeasonStats/TotalWinnings/93

I make more than that in my job. How many other "professional" sports can we say that about?

Old 03-31-2017, 01:48 AM
PBA Hall of Famer

Trade Feedback: 13 reviews
iTrader Rating: (13)
Submit Trade Feedback

Maybe I'm the odd man out in that I bowl tournaments to test myself, not to make money (not that I mind when I do). From that perspective, I LOVE going up against PBA pros in tournaments.

As for ethics, the tournament director has every right to disallow PBA members, spread them out across teams, or whatever, as long as it's written in the tournament rules. If they're allowed to compete, I see nothing ethically wrong with doing so.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:33 AM
Senior Tactics Advisor
Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

If its not fair for Pba card holders to bowl against the amatuers, What about the professional amatuers?

The bowlers who are obviously good enough to hold a Pba card, but don't so they can bowl in all the amatuer tournaments.

Where do you draw the line? Who is too good to be allowed to bowl?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:59 AM
Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahshay View Post
Maybe I'm the odd man out in that I bowl tournaments to test myself, not to make money (not that I mind when I do). From that perspective, I LOVE going up against PBA pros in tournaments.

As for ethics, the tournament director has every right to disallow PBA members, spread them out across teams, or whatever, as long as it's written in the tournament rules. If they're allowed to compete, I see nothing ethically wrong with doing so.
It depends on the situation. If I am a PBA card holder who has won a few regionals or even a national tournament, I would not consider it ethical to enter the local no-tap house shot tournament to beat up on other bowlers out to have fun in the hopes of winning $150-$200.

If it is a scratch sport shot tournament, or 700 club tournament, or other such event then it would be appropriate for a pro to enter since he/she will most likely be in a field of higher caliber competitive bowlers.

If the tournament rules allow PBA members to enter, then they are certainly eligible. Part of being a card carrying professional in any sport is also knowing when it is ethically appropriate to participate. Sometimes you have to exclude yourself from competing, especially for money, if you know going in you have an unfair advantage over the other participants (such as bowling a no-tap house shot tournament at a local center.) If bowling a charity event or fund raiser, by all means enter as it puts the PBA as a whole in a good light.

It is all about making the right choices when you reach professional level.
Radical Primo (OOB)
Columbia300 White Dot

Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 AM
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Just because someone has card doesn't say much. The requirements to obtain a PBA card are not that high. You either lace them up and go or you don't enter. The onus is on you not the other bowler.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:43 AM
Longtime bowling enthusiast

BBE Forum Moderator
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 4 reviews
iTrader Rating: (4)
Submit Trade Feedback
Juggernaut's USBC Achievements PageID: 2243-4831

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchaplin View Post
Am I alone in saying amateur bowlers shouldn't have to go against someone holding a PBA card? I feel if you are that well practiced I shouldn't see you at the local match games beating up on the little guys. Right now we have a PBA card holder taking 7 wins this season. Just don't see this as a fair cut.
From the look of these replies, I wouldn't say you're alone, but you do seem to be in the greater minority.

If you don't want to bowl against card holding PBA members, then don't enter events they are allowed into.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:49 AM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

In golf, I believe, in order to compete in an amateur tournament, a PGA player would not be allowed to play until they had given up their card for two years. Not a bad rule.

In our area, there are a couple of bowling tournaments where some pretty good current pro players are starting to appear. Only time will tell if their presence will have a positive or negative effect on participation.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:59 AM
Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Just because someone has card doesn't say much. The requirements to obtain a PBA card are not that high. You either lace them up and go or you don't enter. The onus is on you not the other bowler.
True. Ultimately the bowler entering the tournament where they know a Pro is also participating has to decide if they are up to the challenge. The Pro also needs to have some scruples as well and decide if it is an appropriate event in which to participate. Both parties have a certain level of responsibility in the matter.
Radical Primo (OOB)
Columbia300 White Dot

Old 03-31-2017, 06:56 PM
BBE Hall of Famer
US Military Service
BBE Ain't Got One YET Club
BBE Authorized Retailer
BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 60 reviews
iTrader Rating: (60)
Submit Trade Feedback
roylay's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milorafferty View Post
Without a real PBA tour, these folks will continue to bottom feed off these tournaments.

I can't say I blame them, the PBA doesn't pay squat. Last year, E.J. Tackett was the leading money winner in the PBA with $168,290.

Source: https://www.pba.com/SeasonStats/TotalWinnings/93

I make more than that in my job. How many other "professional" sports can we say that about?

Hmm, EJ was the leading money winner the season after I gave him ball cleaner samples. And a few years ago Mika had a huge year after I gave him samples. LOL. Those guys don't need any help LOL. They were both super nice people to bowl with, and I'm looking forward to this year's pro am, always a fun time.

"Be good to yourself, and kind to others" mom

"I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet" mom

Old 03-31-2017, 07:05 PM
BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 18 reviews
iTrader Rating: (18)
Submit Trade Feedback
milorafferty's eBay Home Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylay View Post
Hmm, EJ was the leading money winner the season after I gave him ball cleaner samples. And a few years ago Mika had a huge year after I gave him samples. LOL. Those guys don't need any help LOL. They were both super nice people to bowl with, and I'm looking forward to this year's pro am, always a fun time.
It has to be the shoes...err...ball cleaner!

Old 03-31-2017, 08:44 PM

Cranker

Trade Feedback: 4 reviews
iTrader Rating: (4)
Submit Trade Feedback

If you're bowling scratch, may the best bowler win.

And if you're bowling handicap, that PBA member probably doesn't get any bonus sticks.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:26 PM
PBA Member
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ouv
iTrader Rating: (19)
Submit Trade Feedback
ouv's USBC Achievements PageID: 8568-361365
ouv's eBay Home Page ouv's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?

I just bowled a local tournament two sundays ago, and it had handicap, but I haven't bowled league in 7 years. So i didn't get handicap, I still bowled 220s, but I got 37th place because guys who bowl league with a 100 average, then they cash out in these tournaments because they get 67+ handicap. They didn't allow PBA card holders for a tournament. If you're bowling something where card holders are allowed, then be ready to bowl against those kinds of people. If you own a card, you can't do a lot of tournaments or sweepers. So if you got the talent need to bowl something to stay fresh.

My Equipment:
Hammer, Phobia, Black Urethane, Wrench, Legend, Assassin, Viral, First Blood, Cold Blood

Lane #1 Cobalt Bomb, Time Bomb Black Fire, Pink Panther

Motiv Recon RX1 Silver Pearl

Hit 'em thin and Watch 'em spin

Old 04-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback
ignitebowling's facebook Page

Look at the number of pba and wpba bowlers currently leading at the usbc Open Championships…..

Each tournament can have only one winner, and everyone else is hoping to cash something. 99.9% of the time the one making these post is not going to win no matter if it has a pba player or not.

Once you understand there's always someone out there that is going to bowl really well and be the front runner and everyone else is fighting just to be in the mix the better your chances of doing so.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:07 PM
BBE Hall of Famer
US Military Service
BBE Authorized Retailer
BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by milorafferty View Post
It has to be the shoes...err...ball cleaner!
E.J. was a super nice guy to bowl with, and I really enjoyed watching him bowl. I'm hoping he shows up here again in May.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:26 PM
BBE Hall of Famer
US Military Service
BBE Authorized Retailer
BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Back on subject: We have at least 3 PBA card holders on our handicap league. They are all good bowlers but not the best on the league. One of them has rolled two 300 games this season. No one that I know of has a problem with bowling with them. I can certainly understand though when they're bowling on a big money league, ore even some tournaments.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylay View Post
Back on subject: We have at least 3 PBA card holders on our handicap league. They are all good bowlers but not the best on the league. One of them has rolled two 300 games this season. No one that I know of has a problem with bowling with them. I can certainly understand though when they're bowling on a big money league, ore even some tournaments.
There shouldn't really be any issue with PBA card holders on handicap leagues. The handicap alleviates a majority of the potential scoring discrepancies between the PBA member and a casual bowler. They have to be able to bowl somewhere on their downtime. There are a couple of PBA members on one of my handicap leagues, and no one cares. They have good weeks and bad weeks just like most people do (although their attitudes could be a little better at times.)
Radical Primo (OOB)
Columbia300 White Dot

Old 04-06-2017, 03:16 PM

Cranker

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
Space Cadet's USBC Achievements PageID: 129-2796

I know of no PBA members who have titles who bottom feed. I've even run into a couple of National titleholders who have dropped by to watch friends bowl at local tournaments, and asked one of them if he was going to shoe up. His reply: not enough money to matter.

But even if they did decide to bowl, so what? It's all scratch, and I've beaten them in single games and series before. And as somebody else said, just because you have a card doesn't mean much.

You still have to bowl. You still have to deliver the most shots.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:22 PM

F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Trade Feedback: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tywithay Send a message via Yahoo to Tywithay
iTrader Rating: (14)
Submit Trade Feedback
Tywithay's facebook Page

My little brother is a PBA member and bowls all the local tournaments. He's won several, but it's still a challenge to face some of the state/regions better bowlers. He hopes to win money to help pay for more tournaments, but it's mostly just to stay competitive and bowl in events that actually matter. Leagues just aren't that competitive where he lives.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:08 AM

USBC Level 1-2 Coach
Stroker

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

I have zero issue with anyone enter a tournament as long as the rules allow them to. You have guys like me holding a card but not a serious threat to the younger guys due to my age and health (I'm only keeping my card for the magazine). I enjoy going with the wife to tournaments and being able to bowl. There are several tournaments in our region that prohibit card holders from bowling. Why? Honestly the better guys don't have time for most of these tournaments anyway.