US Military Service

Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 4 reviews
iTrader Rating: (4)
Submit Trade Feedback
fufu's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?
HS bowling update

A few weeks back, I posted a topic about starting to coach HS bowling. I wanted to offer an update.

We have 24 kids, which is quite the turnout. That said, out of the 24, about 8 are bowlers or were bowlers before joining our team. Most are complete novice bowlers, without their own ball or shoes. This was not what I was expecting. Sure, I expected a few to be near beginners, but not the vast majority. Many of them don't bowl junior leagues. I'm basically starting from scratch.

We have 4-5 "coaches" total and we have two hours of practice a week. Most sessions we only have two coaches at practice so do the math....real coaching is just not feasible. Most of my suggestions are just an attempt to put the kids into the a serviceable enough position to hit the pins and offer some tips on trying to cover spares.

We had our first match this past weekend, in all honesty, I'd give us a grade of B. During our matches, I generally work with the novice bowlers and we performed better than I expected. In our practice, shooting a game over 100 is more the outlier not the norm. But, in our match we managed a few over 100.

My only real frustration is the other coaches. Sure, we have a few kids that just there to be there, have no real desire on improving, just hanging out. Really, I'm okay with that...as long as they are honest. But, many of the coaches have no formal training, are not accomplished players and contradict what I and some of the other coaches are trying to accomplish. I find it very draining.

Re: HS bowling update
Old 10-25-2017, 01:51 PM

BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Trade Feedback: 18 reviews
iTrader Rating: (18)
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufu View Post
A few weeks back, I posted a topic about starting to coach HS bowling. I wanted to offer an update.

We have 24 kids, which is quite the turnout. That said, out of the 24, about 8 are bowlers or were bowlers before joining our team. Most are complete novice bowlers, without their own ball or shoes. This was not what I was expecting. Sure, I expected a few to be near beginners, but not the vast majority. Many of them don't bowl junior leagues. I'm basically starting from scratch.

We have 4-5 "coaches" total and we have two hours of practice a week. Most sessions we only have two coaches at practice so do the math....real coaching is just not feasible. Most of my suggestions are just an attempt to put the kids into the a serviceable enough position to hit the pins and offer some tips on trying to cover spares.

We had our first match this past weekend, in all honesty, I'd give us a grade of B. During our matches, I generally work with the novice bowlers and we performed better than I expected. In our practice, shooting a game over 100 is more the outlier not the norm. But, in our match we managed a few over 100.

My only real frustration is the other coaches. Sure, we have a few kids that just there to be there, have no real desire on improving, just hanging out. Really, I'm okay with that...as long as they are honest. But, many of the coaches have no formal training, are not accomplished players and contradict what I and some of the other coaches are trying to accomplish. I find it very draining.
With those coaches, it will make your job impossible.

Is there a "head" coach? If so, then he should relay what he wants each coach to look for and work on. If the coaches are not on the same page, or teaching the right things, then you are doing the girls a disservice.

Unfortunately our youth league is running into the same issues. Participation has dropped off by more than half. The coaches that call themselves coaches on their facebook page, etc are just glorified baby sitters. If kids do not improve, they will quit.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:44 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback

Extremely difficult situation to be in. Couple that with limited time on the lanes, you have to work very efficiently.

Before each practice, a decision has to be made on what segment of the approach will be worked on that day. It will not help to try and teach young people how to make a spare if they do not even know how to get the ball started. Every day of practice, kids need to be reminded of something so simple(?) as getting the ball into motion.

If possible, do not use pins during the first half hour of practice. This helps them focus on execution rather than pin count. Then have them work on shooting the 10 pin and 7 pin. Afterward, let them roll the ball at the pocket.

That's a start.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Hey Ya'll
US Military Service

Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 4 reviews
iTrader Rating: (4)
Submit Trade Feedback
fufu's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoRevs View Post
With those coaches, it will make your job impossible.

Is there a "head" coach? If so, then he should relay what he wants each coach to look for and work on. If the coaches are not on the same page, or teaching the right things, then you are doing the girls a disservice.

Unfortunately our youth league is running into the same issues. Participation has dropped off by more than half. The coaches that call themselves coaches on their facebook page, etc are just glorified baby sitters. If kids do not improve, they will quit.
Many of our kids don't bowl league....at all....never have. We have encouraged them to join our Saturday morning program but to no avail.

I think a coaches meeting is in order.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:25 AM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback

We have a highly successful youth program. Only one of the coaches has any certification to speak of. It does not appear there is any particular process that is strictly adhered to when helping the kids with the game. From a personal perspective, it is downright amazing.

The one thing I can say all of the coaches have though, enthusiasm!

We know, learning to execute an approach with efficiency takes work. If it feels like work, the kids are not as receptive or quit.

The other aspect of coaching is understanding, not everyone is going to have the proper physical or mental disposition to become an effective bowler. Each pupil needs to be viewed on an individual basis.

Sometimes, coaching is a little like babysitting. Amazing, when given the proper type of attention, those babies become pretty good bowlers.