Old 05-13-2017, 04:10 PM

Stroker

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 1 reviews
iTrader Rating: (1)
Submit Trade Feedback
kq6fd's USBC Achievements PageID: 226-12996
Turbo Switch Grip

I think I've finally "Had it" with using switch grips! Just had to drill out another one. The inner thumb works fine in three of the four balls I tested it on, but it locked up so tight in the fourth I couldn't remove it. Tried putting the ball in the refer and using ice in the hole. No joy. The last time this happened to me I was at a tournament. You can imagine how happy that made me.

Before I plug everything I own and re-drill, does anyone have any suggestions?

AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!

Re: Turbo Switch Grip
Old 05-13-2017, 08:41 PM

BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Trade Feedback: 18 reviews
iTrader Rating: (18)
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq6fd View Post
I think I've finally "Had it" with using switch grips! Just had to drill out another one. The inner thumb works fine in three of the four balls I tested it on, but it locked up so tight in the fourth I couldn't remove it. Tried putting the ball in the refer and using ice in the hole. No joy. The last time this happened to me I was at a tournament. You can imagine how happy that made me.

Before I plug everything I own and re-drill, does anyone have any suggestions?

AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!
Does your ball driller have the reamer bit? If they dont, get one. It's expensive, but worth it.

If you START to feel your thumb getting tight in the switch grip, take a 1 3/8 bit inside the switch grip sleeve, but be careful not to take out any of the bottom. That should resolve many of your problems.

Let me know if you need anymore help, I think I have ran into every possible problem with switch grips.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Tweener

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback
Smile Re: Turbo Switch Grip

I have experienced a couple of balls over time that have "grown" tight resulting in a problem inserting/locking the inner sleeve. I'm sure MeNoRev's answer is correct from a professional approach to the problem.
My non-professional approach is investing in the insert removal tool for starters. It allows you to insert and turn the insert (as well as removal) where you cannot successfully do so with your thumb.
I also dust a little baby powder on the insert and this helps in most cases. I have also lightly sanded the inner sleeve with very fine sandpaper, rolling it while sanding to insure the sleeve stays round.
All of these "do it yourself fixes" have worked for me. If I would run into a fit so tight I could not move it using the above "fixes", I would then do what MeNoRev has suggested.

Last edited by Bowlaholic; 05-14-2017 at 09:11 AM.
  Thanks from:

Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 AM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

Can we assume the slug system worked just fine until that moment?

Before making a decision as to which changeable thumb system we would use, I noticed there seemed to be more issues with the Switch than the IT. Both systems have issues at times. I had more confidence in the design of the IT.

One of the inherent problems with the Switch is the use of a long cylinder wall. Anyone who knows a little something about an automotive engine knows, the slightest amount of expansion in the cylinder wall will result in piston damage. Due to the various materials used in bowling balls, they are prone to respond to changes in atmospheric conditions, causing the covers and cores to expand and contract constantly. This expansion squeezes the slug ever so slightly, rendering the slug un-removable. Seen it way too many times.

Without a doubt, the reamer designed for the Switch is an absolute necessity when installing the Switch. I'm not sure it matters if the ball is exposed to extreme changes in atmospheric conditions after the fact.
  Thanks from:

Old 05-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Cranker

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
Space Cadet's USBC Achievements PageID: 129-2796

I've had problems removing new Switch Grips, but the solution is pretty easy; take the radial sander and gently run it up and down the inner sleeve once, maybe twice, and this will solve the sticking problem.
  Thanks from:

Old 05-16-2017, 05:08 PM

BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Trade Feedback: 18 reviews
iTrader Rating: (18)
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cadet View Post
I've had problems removing new Switch Grips, but the solution is pretty easy; take the radial sander and gently run it up and down the inner sleeve once, maybe twice, and this will solve the sticking problem.
Not always. If it was only that easy.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:01 PM
B O W L E R
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Site Administrator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
RevZiLLa's USBC Achievements PageID: 2357-5558
RevZiLLa's eBay Home Page RevZiLLa's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?

I find that super glue expands and makes your sleeve to tight quite often. Switched to 2 part 5 minute epoxy and have no issues. It's nice to have the extra time. Probably takes too long for a high volume shop. Just mix up a bit and put 3 or 4 stripes up the hole with a Popsicle stick, insert the sleeve and rotate it around to distribute the glue. It acts like a lubricant and makes placing the sleeve easy. Let it sit 20 minutes

..Victory Is An Addiction

Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 AM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevZiLLa View Post
I find that super glue expands and makes your sleeve to tight quite often. Switched to 2 part 5 minute epoxy and have no issues. It's nice to have the extra time. Probably takes too long for a high volume shop. Just mix up a bit and put 3 or 4 stripes up the hole with a Popsicle stick, insert the sleeve and rotate it around to distribute the glue. It acts like a lubricant and makes placing the sleeve easy. Let it sit 20 minutes
That's interesting!

What I've found when dealing with any type of removable slug system, it is extremely important to lock the ball down securely, including tightening the screws on the table. Any drill migration is going to cause a problem.

We have a 3 point jig. When it seems like the ball is clamped down tight, tighten it some more. I actually wear a mechanics glove to get a better grip on the knob. The cups on the jig are hard plastic and tend to allow the ball to slip ever so slightly, I'll wedge pieces of tool box liner between the ball and the jig in an effort to keep the ball absolutely stable. Even then, we have a few customers who leave their bowling balls in the car, their slugs get stuck in the ball.

Last edited by TomaHawk; 05-17-2017 at 03:15 PM.