Go Back   BBE BowlingBallExchange > Certified Ball Reviews > Visionary Ball Reviews
Wicked Hook and Devastating Carry!
Always on? 

Visionary Bronze Centaur AMB
Old 02-21-2006, 09:49 PM
B O W L E R
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Site Administrator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
RevZiLLa's USBC Achievements PageID: 2357-5558
RevZiLLa's eBay Home Page RevZiLLa's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?
Visionary Bronze Centaur AMB

Antique Bronze CENTAUR-AMBTM

Finish:1500 (Polished)
Hardness:75-77
RG:Med (2.56")
Flare:High (.065" differential) 5-7"
Length (1-100):66
Back end (1-100):88
Hook (1-100):63 (oil) - 86 (dry)
Avail. Wts:13-16# (Centaur AMB core)
10-12#
(on request - light wt. core)
Lane Conditions:Medium Conditions

Do NOT expect this ball to be a smooth, controlled arc motion like the Green/Blue Centaur.
The high differential, large flare potential and heavy flip cap make this a skid/snap type reaction.

To Layout the AMB properly, you must first mark the "Virtual Mass Bias" by drawing a line from the 1/4" locator pin on the backside, through the 1/2" Black flip pin around the ball. Mark an "x"180 degrees from the AMB pin (13 1/2" from the AMB pin which puts the "x" 6 3/4" from the black pin. This Virtual Mass Bias point can then be treated using the same general rules that apply to other typical mass bias spots.

*** By using the AMB cap to create an Anti-Mass Bias (negative mass bias on the back side) it allows the ball to have a lower RG than the original DC core while maintaining a high differential. It also helps maintain more of the core dynamics for most drillings. In the case with most strong Mass bias balls, when drilling the thumb - you remove a large portion of the heavy core or cap used to create the bias, resulting in less of the core's original dynamics. BUT, with the AMB core, you drill into lighter coverstock and save almost all of the original core shape - retaining the true reaction originally designed by the core. ***

The Centaur-AMB uses a modified version of the Centaur core design, and a new Antique Bronze pearlized reactive coverstock.
*** This is a modified version - not the original Centaur core. The bottom arm was lengthened, the densities changed, the top flip cap was made heavier and the ultra-light "AMB" cap was created on the back side. The result is a very high differential core producing high flare (usually 5" or more). The core produces much more skid/snap and a lot more backend than the Green/Blue Centaur ***

BBE Members, please post your reviews below.
* NOTE - In order to ensure quality, ball reviews are checked by staff before they are shown in the thread below. Staff may ask you to make your reveiw more substantive or less inflammatory

Suggested ball review template
http://www.bowlingballexchange.com/s...ad.php?t=17493

Re: Visionary Centaur AMB Solid
Old 02-21-2006, 10:03 PM
B O W L E R
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Site Administrator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
RevZiLLa's USBC Achievements PageID: 2357-5558
RevZiLLa's eBay Home Page RevZiLLa's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?
Re: Visionary Centaur AMB Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatdon
This is the ball I won from the website in March. Finally punched it up and rolled a few games in open format.
Ball specs are: 3" pin 1.58oz tw. This is what I requested.
I laid it out per instructions with the pin-toPAP at 3-3/8. Placement is above my ring. MB placement is right 2" and slightly below the thumb. Was searching for a true skid/snap reaction.
Bowled on a pair with different conditions on both lanes. Right lane was dead fresh, left lane had ~ 10 games with a little carrydown. (10 year old AMF synthetics, prodigy oil)

First two games didn't really tell me anything except the ball moves really hard, and like other Visionary balls, hits really hard. Experimented with different lines and releases, found stroking up 5 and bellying 15 out to 3 to be extremely effective.

Started getting serious in the third thru fifth games, playing my more preferred line of 12-7 with moderate revvs. This ball is really nice, does NOT pick up an early roll like my Ebonite stuff. Gets thru the heads well and starts to roll heavy around 30'. Then, the expected snap around 48'. Lots of light carries. Made a small approach adjustment and ran off a long string of solid pocket hits, carrying ~ 75% of them. Packed lots of 9's, 10's and 4's. One 7-10 :blackeye:
Not a very forgiving ball. Tugs tend to take off. Allowing it to drift out seemed more forgiving cause it recovers well from the dry, usually tripping out something from the left side.

Overall, nearly excellent ball. My Crimson Executioner has more backend recovery, maybe because the cover is worn in a little. If I hadn't won the ball, I still think I would have bought it.
Visionary makes stuff unlike everyone elses hook-in-a-box junk, and they don't release a ball every week like some.

Re: Visionary Bronze Centaur AMB
Old 02-22-2006, 11:06 AM
US Military Service
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 8 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Phatdon
iTrader Rating: (8)
Submit Trade Feedback
Phatdon's USBC Achievements PageID: 1789-170
Phatdon's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

BALL SPECS
Pin Length: 3"
Starting Top Weight: 1.87
Ball Weight: 15.3 before drilling, 15.0 after with 5/8oz pos side left in.

DRILL PATTERN
Pin to PAP: Pin over ring, slightly right 3-3/8" from PAP

CG to PAP: 3"
X Hole (if needed): Center grip thru CG on VAL above midline. (slightly right of pinky finger if spread out)
MB Location: 75*, slightly below and ~1" right of thumb.

BOWLER STYLE
Rev Rate: 300-350

Ball Speed: 15-17 at deck, Qubica
PAP/Track: 4 1/2> 3/4^ medium-high

PICTURE AND VIDEO LINKS

SURFACE PREPARATION

Grit: OOB, 1500 polished
Type: (Matte, Polish, Sanded) Polished Pearl

LANE CONDITION
Length: 40' tree buffed to 42' (synthetic) 37' top hat buffed to 40' (wood)

Volume: ~21ml (both)
Type (Wall, Xmas Tree, Sport): see above

BALL REACTION
Length: Both lanes get approximate same length. Breakpoint around 43'
Back End: Strong move off the oil on wood, a little tamer on synthetics.
Overall Hook: Predictable on any line I choose to roll. It moves left at 43'
Midlane Read: Excellent read in the mids. I know as soon as I release it if it's good or not. Plenty of recovery if I let it drift right, plenty of hold if I tug it a bit.
Breakpoint Shape: Smooth but pronounced.

COMMENTS
Likes: Hits really hard, even after the 100+ games with no resurface or coverstock alteration. Predictable in heavy, medium or moderately light oil. Handles carry down fairly well but does tend to skate if there is too much. Very forgiving if release is bad, rarely leaves splits, even if it goes thru the nose. Pins stay low and messengers fly regularly. Lite hits carry well, flush usually have 8's, 9's or 10's falling late.
Dislikes: Late games or burnt heads can't use it, requires oil. Would be fantastic for a medium/heavy sport or PBA pattern.

USBC Level 2 Coach
The Arsenal
Visionary
Bronze AMB Centaur(290, 299, 805), Bronze AMB Centaur (Pin in Ring), Raven, Raven Attack (pin under bridge) Raven Attack (REVS Leverage), Raven Invasion, Samurai. G-3 Gryphon.
Lane #1
Dynamo (300),G-Force (300), Stealth Bomber Solid (300) Solid Uranium (300), Enriched Uranium, Crystal Diamond.
Ebonite
V2 Clean, V3 TPS (299), Nitro R2, Nitro.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned
Tweener

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tonx Send a message via MSN to Tonx
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback

Gday guys, Time for a review on possibly the most underrated Visionary Bowling ball out at the moment....

THE AMB BRONZE CENTAUR.
http://www.visionarybowling.com/ball_CentaurAMB.html

For the guys that don't know me, im a high speed, high revrate bowler. Im just as happy playing 1st arrow as I am 7th arrow.

Drilled my new toy up 4inch p2p placement, level with fingers, with a 45degree mass bias placement, and a 7/8ths 1/2inch x-hole 1inch left of val, in thumb quad. Box Finish. Wanted this to open up the lanes. A BIG 'hooker' if you will. This is currently the strongest drilling in my bag. Pic to come...

Lanes: Brunswick Synths, kegal machine, Australian National Yth Challenge, 42 ft LONG pattern.
( which can be found at www.tenpin.org.au )

Comparison ball- X-factor Ace, drilled same pin placement, 15degree mb placement, x-hole on pap, finished to 1200polished.

The Ace for me was always a strong mover into the pocket. Due to the layout, it clears the heads well, and makes a continuous angular arc. Its great for tough shots, but not very versatile, and burns the shot very quickly.

The AMB was cleaner through the heads, due to its medium RG, and MUCH stronger throughout the rest of the lane. Even on the tough pattern, it gave speed tolerance (which is surprising for a pearl with my shot) and set up nicely through the pocket. Generally carry isnt a problem with my revrate and speed, however the AMB left even less corner pins than the ace, especially from deep and tight inside.

It played very well with a swing shot, and its continuation is like that of a Paradigm, with a more angular move. I also noticed that an up the back release carried just as well. If I had to compare its hook motion with gear from other brands, I would say a Paradigm/Delta-1 hybrid. It barely touched the pattern, and within the 3 hours that I bowled on it, I had to move no more than 3 boards with my feet throughout the entire session, and keep the same breakpoint.

This is a ball that creates some serious noise at the pins. Think of a Karate master splintering a tree with 1 punch, and thats the sort of crack that is heard. Ive NEVER had a ball generate so much CONSISTENT power at the breakpoint, especially on a tougher shot. This ball is an absolute PLEASURE to bowl with.

Can't wait to try it on a wetter League Shot.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers!

Old 09-13-2017, 07:52 PM
US Military Service
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 8 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Phatdon
iTrader Rating: (8)
Submit Trade Feedback
Phatdon's USBC Achievements PageID: 1789-170
Phatdon's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

BALL SPECS
Pin Length - 3"-4"
Starting Top Weight - 3.08
Ball Weight -15.2

DRILL PATTERN
Pin to PAP - 4" pin IN ring
CG to PAP - 2 3/4"
X Hole (if needed) - 7/8" , 2 3/4" deep, 4" center grip thru CG 3/8 oz side weight.
MB Location - 4"

BOWLER STYLE
Rev Rate - 325-350
Ball Speed - 16.4 thru trap (Qubica)

PICTURE AND VIDEO LINKS

SURFACE PREPARATION
Grit - Factory 1500
Type (Matte, Polish, Sanded) - Pearl Polished

LANE CONDITION
Length - 38'
Volume - 18ml
Type (Wall, Xmas Tree, Sport) - Xmas THS.

BALL REACTION
Length - LONG
Back End - STRONG
Overall Hook - 10-20 boards, depending on angle.
Midlane Read - smooth
Breakpoint Shape - Hockey Stick

COMMENTS
Carry - Everything!
Likes - Coverstock to the Core, no fillers. AMB Core.
Dislikes - none
Other - This is the 2nd AMB I've drilled for myself. I drilled this one pin in Ring for sport conditions, and I think it might be perfect for it. On the THS, I was surprised at how consistent it reacted. I expected it would severely overreact once it hit the dry but that was not the case. 5"-7" of flare, clears the heads well, reads the mids exceptionally well and makes the strongest move to the pocket of ANY ball I've ever rolled! From outside, it just walks to the pocket, between 10 and 15, push it, it recovers, pull it, it holds. Go deep it flys back and hits hard. This is a ball Visionary should bring back. A bit of a pain to layout, but we'll worth the effort. If you can find one, buy it!
Attached Thumbnails
20170913_180504.jpg  
USBC Level 2 Coach
The Arsenal
Visionary
Bronze AMB Centaur(290, 299, 805), Bronze AMB Centaur (Pin in Ring), Raven, Raven Attack (pin under bridge) Raven Attack (REVS Leverage), Raven Invasion, Samurai. G-3 Gryphon.
Lane #1
Dynamo (300),G-Force (300), Stealth Bomber Solid (300) Solid Uranium (300), Enriched Uranium, Crystal Diamond.
Ebonite
V2 Clean, V3 TPS (299), Nitro R2, Nitro.