Always on? 

Static Weight compliance
Old 11-12-2017, 12:10 PM
BBE Rules!

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback
Static Weight compliance

Question please to anyone familiar with verifying static weight compliance. I drill my own balls at home after being unsatisfied with drilling service from three different pro-shops. I also wanted to experiment with my grip which would be quite costly using pro-shop services. I don't enter tournaments, just senior league bowling which must comply with USBC rules. No one ever asks but I'm a stickler for playing fairly.

Question: Can I verify static weight compliance at home using a kitchen scale? I don't mean PBA compliance, I understand this can't measure up to that standard. I would make a rectangular platform (about 4" X 10") with legs 8.5 inches apart (ball's diameter) and a ball cup centered so both ends of the platform weigh the same without the ball. I would place the platform level on the scale and the other end on a steady block. (I understand the process of using grip center and turning it 180 degrees, etc.). It seems I could determine side weight in this manner using an accurate $20 electronic kitchen scale (precision to 1/10 oz or 1 gram) rather than going to a pro-shop to verify it. I certainly can't justify paying $500-$1,000 for a bowling dodo scale.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Re: Static Weight compliance
Old 11-12-2017, 01:04 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

There is a weighing system similar to what you are describing. It used to be on Ebay, but I think Jayhawk now owns the rights to it. You could probably get a pretty good idea of how it works by the picture on their sight.
  Thanks from:

Old 11-12-2017, 05:09 PM
BBE Rules!

Submit Trade Feedback

Yes, thanks so much. That's what gave me this idea. They just zero out the first weight before taking the second which gives the difference, plus or minus. It seems simple enough for checking basic compliance (that is, when the difference isn't approaching the limits and this is not for professional or tournament play). Numerous bowling professionals have stated, and demonstrated using throw-bot machines, that static weights have minimal effect on ball reaction. Even so, I want to ensure that I'm in compliance for league play when drilling my balls at home.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:48 AM
BBE Rules!

Submit Trade Feedback

Update: received the scale yesterday. Unfortunately, I found that the ball cup didn't provide accurate readings (based on those printed on the manufacturer's box). I believe this is because the ball cup is too small in diameter to provide accurate static weights.

So I tried a stainless-steel pet dish 7 3/4 inches diameter, the ball is 8 1/2 inch diameter. I have several of these that I use to hold a ball steady when working on it. I didn't use the platform I had made for the ball cup. Instead, I supported each side of the bowl by one inch on the perimeter and "leveled" (one side on the scale and the other side off scale). I rotated the bowl (empty) to ensure it was balanced. I then tested the ball again for static weights. Success, it gave readings that reflect those printed on the manufacturer's box within a few fraction of an ounce. Not pro-shop equivalent I'm sure but fine I think for home shop drilling.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:34 PM

Cranker

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 1 reviews
iTrader Rating: (1)
Submit Trade Feedback
faballfan's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

Pics would be interesting

Old 11-19-2017, 03:14 PM
F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
PBA Hall of Famer

Trade Feedback: 17 reviews
iTrader Rating: (17)
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Update: received the scale yesterday. Unfortunately, I found that the ball cup didn't provide accurate readings (based on those printed on the manufacturer's box). I believe this is because the ball cup is too small in diameter to provide accurate static weights.

So I tried a stainless-steel pet dish 7 3/4 inches diameter, the ball is 8 1/2 inch diameter. I have several of these that I use to hold a ball steady when working on it. I didn't use the platform I had made for the ball cup. Instead, I supported each side of the bowl by one inch on the perimeter and "leveled" (one side on the scale and the other side off scale). I rotated the bowl (empty) to ensure it was balanced. I then tested the ball again for static weights. Success, it gave readings that reflect those printed on the manufacturer's box within a few fraction of an ounce. Not pro-shop equivalent I'm sure but fine I think for home shop drilling.
Do you realize what a complete and utter waste of time and money this is?

Statics have virtually zero effect on ball reaction. This have been proven over and over and over again. Drillings of both symmetric and asymmetric cores out-influence static weights by a factor 100:1. Their significance to bowling is only in the minds ot the 90 year old bowlers who refuse to be drawn int he 20th century (yes, I said, 20th, not 21st century). The rules are so archaic as to be hindering all possible progression into the future

Approximations of CG positioning will be more effective than any technical weighing of 1/10th of an ounce +/- finger or top weight.

The positioning of the proper weight hole will mean more to one ball than the weighing of 1000 balls to insure +/- 1 ounce finger/thumb weight and +/- 3 oz. top weight will mean to those 1000 balls.

You might want to think about the idea:
"Meeting the letter of the law is not the same as adhering to the spirit of the law."

Old 11-19-2017, 05:46 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlest View Post
You might want to think about the idea:
"Meeting the letter of the law is not the same as adhering to the spirit of the law."
Unfortunately, if a person goes to a tournament, the letter of the law is strictly adhered to. Just like .0004.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Senior Tactics Advisor
Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlest View Post
Do you realize what a complete and utter waste of time and money this is?

Statics have virtually zero effect on ball reaction. This have been proven over and over and over again.
Reading the O.P.'s posts, There was nothing about him worrying about whether static weights affect ball motion.

He was just wanting a low cost way to check that the balls he drills at home are USBC legal as far as static weights are concerned.

The only way he'd be wasting time and money is if the system he got didn't work.

And like Tomahawk said if a person goes to a tournament, the letter of the law is strictly adhered to. Balls have to meet static weight requirements.