Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
Space Cadet's USBC Achievements PageID: 129-2796
Re: City and local golf trump state bowling 'newsworthiness'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Fish View Post
Unfortunately, you touch on the reality that there is little or no "market" for bowling publicity in the modern-day world, and I suppose I should be glad that I no longer need to deal with such a "hopeless" situation.
On the contrary - there clearly is a market for bowling news. Those who are doing it are just delivering it in a way you don't like or don't want to try. Like this place:

www.insidebowling.com

Or this place:

www.bowlersjournal.com

Or this one:

www.bowlingthismonth.com

And you contradict yourself; in the original post, you bitch about a lack of coverage and you're hurt because the local newspaper won't take your writing. Now you say don't need to deal with the situation. Which is it?

Whatever you choose, this should be the last thread you start about the lack of bowling coverage in Sarasota's newspaper. We've heard it all before.

So, here - a freebie - a domain name for you to use:

www.sarasotabowlingjournal.com

There. All done.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:12 PM
FORWARD

Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 1 reviews
iTrader Rating: (1)
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
... but as bowling moves "forward" it isn't gaining strides -- except in the area of super-inflated scores -- so perhaps the "past" wasn't really that bad.
Why do more bowlers and lower scores need to equate to a better product? Who is to say bowling isn't better now with fewer bowlers who are clearly better equipment and conditions aside? Did you come to the conclusion yourself that the old way is better?

Bowling needs to move forward we can't keep looking back and saying "In my day" that day is past and it has been for a long time. The future is what needs to concentrated on not history.

Screw newspaper coverage. I have plenty of Bowling news online.

MainzerPower

Old 05-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Longtime bowling enthusiast

BBE Forum Moderator
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 4 reviews
iTrader Rating: (4)
Submit Trade Feedback
Juggernaut's USBC Achievements PageID: 2243-4831

In the U.S., there are over 320 million people.

Of those 320 million, a little over a million are sanctioned bowlers. That's around .3 or .4 percent.

Say .35 percent. Of that .35 percent, probably 20 percent of those take bowling seriously.

That's .07 percent that think bowling is a sport. That's .0007 X320,000,000 = 224,000.

224,000 think it could be a sport. 319,776,000 think it's a recreational activity. MAYBE.

In a democratic society, who wins? The majority, correct?

7/100ths of 1 percent. That's it, that's all. That's not enough to "justify" anything.

Look, I think bowling is great. I love it now, even after nearly 40 years of it. I took it seriously then, and I still do, but I/we are in the vast minority that do.

99.9993 percent of the population thinks it's a game, a pastime, a recreational thing, and the sheer numbers tend to make them right, don't you think?

Heck, the newspaper would probably do better covering tiddlywinks or beer pong.
  Thanks from:

Old 05-19-2017, 05:39 PM
BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 18 reviews
iTrader Rating: (18)
Submit Trade Feedback
milorafferty's eBay Home Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
In the U.S., there are over 320 million people.

Of those 320 million, a little over a million are sanctioned bowlers. That's around .3 or .4 percent.

Say .35 percent. Of that .35 percent, probably 20 percent of those take bowling seriously.

That's .07 percent that think bowling is a sport. That's .0007 X320,000,000 = 224,000.

224,000 think it could be a sport. 319,776,000 think it's a recreational activity. MAYBE.

In a democratic society, who wins? The majority, correct?

7/100ths of 1 percent. That's it, that's all. That's not enough to "justify" anything.

Look, I think bowling is great. I love it now, even after nearly 40 years of it. I took it seriously then, and I still do, but I/we are in the vast minority that do.

99.9993 percent of the population thinks it's a game, a pastime, a recreational thing, and the sheer numbers tend to make them right, don't you think?

Heck, the newspaper would probably do better covering tiddlywinks or beer pong.
Excellent post.

In a further note, we have a bowling specific paper in Northern California(I pay so little attention that I can't tell you the name and I see it in the alley every time). It's something like 'Bowling World' or 'California Bowling News" or some such.

They are always available, in stacks, at every bowling alley. They have news for each bowling alley in the area, including tournament results, league scores, social commentary(bowling related), advertising, honor scores and the like.

It's very rare to see anyone actually READING them, and they are FREE. Although, I did see a guy last week using one to cover a wet spot on the floor.

But honestly Bill, continue to make your posts here, it's not like there is so much content that there isn't room. The people who don't want to read it can skip your post. I read it every time, but then you know how that will end.

I guess you could post it, then lock the thread so we can't make our comments...

Old 05-19-2017, 09:32 PM
Senior Member - Survived to Retirement!
US Military Service
BBE Ain't Got One YET Club
F.O.S
Cranker

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 1 reviews
iTrader Rating: (1)
Submit Trade Feedback
Thumbs down Re: City and local golf trump state bowling 'newsworthiness'

Personally, I think this whole subject matter should disappear and be done with. But that's just my .02 cents worth, and that ain't worth much. It's getting to be a subject @ best.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:37 AM
F.O.S
Stroker

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback
JessN16's eBay Home Page

I left the newspaper industry in 2009. I still cover college football for a website that has a pickup agreement with USA Today. For the majority of my career, my role in the newspaper business was as the editor, overseeing all content. That puts me on both sides of the argument -- I ran old-school print newspapers for 11 years; I was one of the first digital-format journalists in this country and the site I write for has been operating for 21 consecutive years now, making it one of the longest-running sports sites on the 'net.

That's as much of my resume as I feel is needed to address this, but I figured I needed to state some kind of qualifications before I addressed the topic. And here goes:

Bowling, as a sport, isn't important anymore. Next topic.

I really could stop there, as that pretty much says it all, but if you want to know the reasoning behind a Sarasota newspaper's reasoning to prioritize amateur golf over amateur bowling, it's because they know their audience and they know their audience prefers golf.

Ergo, bowling gets put in the same bin with amateur autocross racing, archery, bass fishing tournaments, etc. The people who excel in those sports believe their accomplishments are worth noting. Readers who buy the paper don't agree. The newspaper will prioritize that particular choice, as it has financial impact.

Now, move north to Scottsboro, Alabama, for instance, and you'll fast learn everything you did or didn't want to know about bass fishing, because there's a major tournament on Lake Guntersville virtually every week year-round. And you won't find a whiff of golf coverage unless the mayor hits a hole-in-one at Goose Pond Colony.

I wrote tons of bowling stories for my local papers over the years, because I had "executive privilege" to get them published. No one besides other bowlers ever read a word of it. Or at least no one ever told me they did. We printed league scores every week; occasionally a bowler or a family member would say something.

Unfortunately, there is a significant time investment in record-keeping and converting it to copy, and most newspapers have cut staff to the bone and beyond over the last 5-10 years, so the man hours required to report on bowling and do it right just isn't there anymore. Much easier to grab AP copy or run an extra picture with a football story. Incidentally, I'd give your Sarasota paper about 10-15 years max (same with all other papers that aren't either micro or macro; the mid-majors are getting slaughtered).

But the overarching point is that bowling itself, as a competitive sport, will be dead in 30 years, except for pockets here and there where it's been traditionally important to a particular area. I don't celebrate having to say that, either. But it's happening.

Jess
  Thanks from:

Old 05-20-2017, 11:34 AM
This space for rent
Cranker

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Dear SpaceCadet:

Unfortunately, you touch on the reality that there is little or no "market" for bowling publicity in the modern-day world, and I suppose I should be glad that I no longer need to deal with such a "hopeless" situation.
Here in Chicago we get our bowling news from Windy City Bowling New a monthly newspaper that you can pick up in most every bowling house. they also have a facebook site called Windy City Bowling News. I think this is the way to go. Targeted audience.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:55 AM

Cranker

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Man, it's hard to compete with logic, ain't it? Great note, Jess, except for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessN16 View Post
But the overarching point is that bowling itself, as a competitive sport, will be dead in 30 years, except for pockets here and there where it's been traditionally important to a particular area. I don't celebrate having to say that, either. But it's happening.
With great respect, I think you're wrong. The latest television rating indicate the PBA is making pretty significant inroads to traditional broadcast, and the leadership is grasping the use of digital - either in the form of social media or video game - as a way to promote the sport.

Chad Murphy at USBC is making all kinds of waves in changing how business is done at the sanctioning body - look at what he's done to the Open!

And I think the manufacturers now realize that the Bowlmors of the world are NOT working in their best interests, so there is a quiet change going on there as well.

Sports are cyclical. Look at what golf, Indycar racing, NASCAR, baseball and NBA basketball are going through. Every last one of them have experienced huge drops in viewership and yet they are still here, and most of them are showing healthy balance sheets.

Bowling is on the road back. The numbers, the sponsorships (L.L. Bean!!) are up, and we are seeing new faces on the tour and TV, and that's helping a lot.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:49 PM

Cranker

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

I couldn't resist. This was in the (gasp!!) Orlando newspaper.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...520-story.html

And then, this:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic...000-topic.html

Old 06-01-2017, 10:43 AM

Cranker

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Each year, a very well known analyst named Mary Meeker puts out an Internet Trends report. She tracks not only internet use but also how people get their information otherwise. The report is mammoth - 355 PowerPoint slides, but this is the most relevant portion:

"Since 2011, the amount of time Americans spend with print has dropped about 40 percent. But the amount of ad dollars that go to print has dropped even more."

Meaning: people don't pay attention to printed newspapers, and advertisers now consider it a dead medium.

Link to report, for those interested: http://www.kpcb.com/internet-trends

Bowlers and people who support bowling would do well to go where the fishin' is good, not where it was.

That would be....digital.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Int Trends.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	20576  

Old 06-01-2017, 10:55 AM

BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Trade Feedback: 18 reviews
iTrader Rating: (18)
Submit Trade Feedback

Why revive this thread? It was over with?

All points have been made.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:47 AM

Cranker

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

I don't think so.

We can sit here and go round and round with opinions - or we can bring data. That's what I did here.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessN16 View Post
I left the newspaper industry in 2009. I still cover college football for a website that has a pickup agreement with USA Today. For the majority of my career, my role in the newspaper business was as the editor, overseeing all content. That puts me on both sides of the argument -- I ran old-school print newspapers for 11 years; I was one of the first digital-format journalists in this country and the site I write for has been operating for 21 consecutive years now, making it one of the longest-running sports sites on the 'net.

That's as much of my resume as I feel is needed to address this, but I figured I needed to state some kind of qualifications before I addressed the topic. And here goes:

Bowling, as a sport, isn't important anymore. Next topic.

I really could stop there, as that pretty much says it all, but if you want to know the reasoning behind a Sarasota newspaper's reasoning to prioritize amateur golf over amateur bowling, it's because they know their audience and they know their audience prefers golf.

Ergo, bowling gets put in the same bin with amateur autocross racing, archery, bass fishing tournaments, etc. The people who excel in those sports believe their accomplishments are worth noting. Readers who buy the paper don't agree. The newspaper will prioritize that particular choice, as it has financial impact.

Now, move north to Scottsboro, Alabama, for instance, and you'll fast learn everything you did or didn't want to know about bass fishing, because there's a major tournament on Lake Guntersville virtually every week year-round. And you won't find a whiff of golf coverage unless the mayor hits a hole-in-one at Goose Pond Colony.

I wrote tons of bowling stories for my local papers over the years, because I had "executive privilege" to get them published. No one besides other bowlers ever read a word of it. Or at least no one ever told me they did. We printed league scores every week; occasionally a bowler or a family member would say something.

Unfortunately, there is a significant time investment in record-keeping and converting it to copy, and most newspapers have cut staff to the bone and beyond over the last 5-10 years, so the man hours required to report on bowling and do it right just isn't there anymore. Much easier to grab AP copy or run an extra picture with a football story. Incidentally, I'd give your Sarasota paper about 10-15 years max (same with all other papers that aren't either micro or macro; the mid-majors are getting slaughtered).

Jess
Great post Jess. I have friends in Guntersville!!

Bowling has exploded in Asia, South America, and in Europe, but not like one may think, but competitive bowling is big, however; in relation to Soccer, Tennis, Cricket, LaCrosse etc...it's not even mentioned.

For over a week the BBC News Sport Desk covered the World Pool Championships, but bowling was never mentioned. Again most people think bowling is easier than Pool/Billiards/Snooker.

Bowling did a very poor job 50-75 years ago in never properly marketing itself, and certainly never tried to market itself to anything but the lower to middle class economic strata. (Although upper middle class and high class do bowl.)