Always on? 

I can save bowling...
Old 12-22-2017, 03:25 PM

Cranker

Trade Feedback: 4 reviews
iTrader Rating: (4)
Submit Trade Feedback
I can save bowling...

...all it takes is a realistic dues increase.

Currently, we send the USBC peanuts every year, and expect a whole lot in return. Meanwhile, every other national organization charges much more, and often provides much less than a membership card in return.

Boy Scouts? $33. Civil Air Patrol? $67. PBA? $144. Costco? $55. NRA? $35

Those are just off the top of my head. Its clear to see everyone else is charging much more than the $7 a year that goes to the USBC.

My proposal is $40. With that $10 will go into the pocket of USBC to pay salaries and provide the infrastructure to do what they do. That leaves $30 per bowler (currently about 1.5 million bowlers) to be reinvested into bowling and bowlers. That’s $45million into the pot, each year (with no increase in membership.)

Here are some of my ideas with which to do with that money:

$6 per bowler (or 9 million dollars) will be awarded to the best and most deserving centers in America, as submitted by the members. Each center will get $500,000 to invest into their business, renovate, remodel, pay bills, give bonuses to their staff, invest in their junior bowlers...whatever they see fit, so long as it goes into the center. Thanks for being a great bowling alley.

$3 per bowler (or 4.5 million dollars) will go youth scholarships.

$2 per bowler will go into various charitable causes like the BVL and others.

$5 per bowler will go into revamping the awards program. Right now in my association, if you shoot 75 pins over average...you get an eye-glass cleaning cloth. Not making that up. Thanks for trying but we need better. I think $7.5million could create a rewards program we’re all happy with.

$2 will go into a massive sport bowling prize fund (part of that money will go to employing a staff of lane inspectors to keep competition fair.) $100,000 to the national high average bowler. $5000 to all sport bowling 300 games. The rest goes into a prize fund for every participant in the most improved average category. This will benefit beginning bowlers, and the ones who take it seriously will be hiring coaches, practicing a lot, etc, thus stimulating the bowling economy. It would give a reason for bowlers to demand sport leagues from their center, it would be another money making offering for the center, it would get bowlers in the door with a reason to practice and improve.

$2 per bowler will go into the USBC Masters prize fund. First place prize is $1,000,000. Want to generate media income and viewership ratings? That’s how you do it. People will tune in to watch that. And if not...no big deal. Its within the budget. But at least our top bowlers are competing for a major paycheck, and that’s important.

$2 per bowler will go to each the PBA and PWBA (3 million each). The USBC will sponsor 15 tournaments each, with $200,000 added directly into the prize fund.

$2 per bowler will go into marketing and advertising.

$1 per bowler will go into a fund to be given as a sweepstakes award to a randomly selected winner who takes their family bowling on national bowling day. All you need is a receipt for your games bowled. Winner is selected at random. That’s $1.5million dollars, given at random, just for taking the family bowling. Put that on a nationwide commercial, and I betcha whole lot of people walk into their local center thus stimulating the bowling economy further. I bet even a few of them become bowlers.

$3 per bowler would go to creating a welcome package for first time members. This would include some cheap trinkets, but it would also include a coupon to take to their local USBC certified coach. This would help new bowlers grasp the basics and get started in the right direction, as well as create a relationship with the local coach, and create an incentive for more bowlers to become coaches.

Those are just some of my ideas. If I were president that’s how I’d distribute your money. What do you guys say? What are your ideas? Let’s get this moving around and foster some ideas. It’s almost 2018. Our dues need to increase a lot so the USBC can provide us with what we want and need. If we do all of the above, bowling prospers in a way it never has before.

Re: I can save bowling...
Old 12-22-2017, 03:31 PM
BBE League Champion
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 31 reviews
iTrader Rating: (31)
Submit Trade Feedback
FrankieD's USBC Achievements PageID: 1876-7026
FrankieD's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

any idea that puts money in the usbc's pocket will never fly, they have no idea what they are doing

Old 12-22-2017, 03:43 PM

Cranker

Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
any idea that puts money in the usbc's pocket will never fly, they have no idea what they are doing
Ok, then I guess nevermind. To hell with it. It was fun while it lasted.

But in reality, I think they're doing as well as they can with what they've got...which is basically nothing. You can't run a national membership organization that provides services and goods to its members on $7 a year.

So what are your thoughts?

Old 12-22-2017, 05:12 PM
BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 18 reviews
iTrader Rating: (18)
Submit Trade Feedback
milorafferty's eBay Home Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
Ok, then I guess nevermind. To hell with it. It was fun while it lasted.

But in reality, I think they're doing as well as they can with what they've got...which is basically nothing. You can't run a national membership organization that provides services and goods to its members on $7 a year.

So what are your thoughts?
I completely, totally 100% agree that we don't give them enough money to operate an organization of its size. We will agree to disagree on how some of the membership dues should be allocated, but I think your $40 a year figure to USBC national is very reasonable. Heck, $50 would still be reasonable.

Thanks for the effort and suggestion. And ignore the usual trolls who will come out of the woodwork here to tell us about the how the evil we call USBC.

I appreciate what USBC does and the crap they have to put up with from us bowlers. Having said that though, I would give USBC $1000 today to get rid of Chad Murphy. He is my only issue with the organization.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:07 PM
BBE League Champion
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

our dues are $18 a year,Brian Voss had the best idea i have seen,If dues are 40-50 a year,you will lose more than half the bowlers to either not bowling or not sanctioning. aside from Voss"s idea i don't know that it will ever be as big as it once was

Old 12-22-2017, 09:23 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback

Not trying to diminish your thought process champ, but we need to get rid of the fat, not increase it.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Longtime bowling enthusiast

BBE Forum Moderator
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback
Juggernaut's USBC Achievements PageID: 2243-4831

Not crazy about the USBC at all, but they do serve a purpose. Without some type of rules structure and governing, bowling would quickly fall into a much bigger situation than it is currently in.

I said a while back that we needed to either give them what they need (MONEY) to be effective, or just get rid of them and start over.

Since starting over is VASTLY more expensive, I say give these guys a shot.

REDUCE INITIAL FEES. By this, I mean from having to pay your entire sanction fee at the beginning of the year (ours was $20), to paying $10 up front (to cover expenses for the sanction cards and miscellaneous), then pay $1 a night for league bowlers, and maybe $1 a bowler per event for sanctioned tournaments?

That would increase total dues to around $40-$50 a year for one league a week bowlers like me.
For people who bowl more, it would only increase it $1 a night per every league bowled, or $3-$4 per tournament bowled.

Cut the up front price in half, and pay $1 per league per week. The more you bowl, the more you pay. Whatcha think?

It would double or more the money they have to work with, and who knows, they might even do something right with it instead of having to dole it out to only their “chosen” agendas.

It would be a relatively cheap experiment that could be rescinded at any time.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:49 AM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

Bowling around here is still largely a blue collar activity. Just the other day a group of people were in the shop talking about how useless USBC is. Those people were of the below average income bracket. Raising the rates will definitely keep people home.

(Bowling???) though, is not in too bad of shape and in fact is going in the direction the owners have always desired. That is, charging as much as they can for lineage.

With everyone running around talking "the scores are too high, the scores are too high" we had lost track of the reality of the situation. More than 35 years ago, the proprietors used arguments such as the one presented by Champ. Proprietors indeed used golf, theater tickets, sporting event tickets, etc. exclaiming a parity between bowling and those types of events. If one looks at the cost to bowl now, they have achieved their goal.

Honestly, USBC is a non-essential entity in the bowling world today. USBC only represents a struggling part of the industry. And in all actuality, never were very good at what they were supposed to do.

So, USBC is an old, outdated organization. It still runs and operates the same old. I've asked this question of several USBC representatives, "what do you people do?" Not once, has anyone ever replied in a manner that made sense from a business perspective.

Bowling isn't what it used to be, probably never will be again. But, even through the thick of it, ABC / USBC had really not been much of a factor at all.

Last edited by TomaHawk; 12-23-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:02 PM

Cranker

Submit Trade Feedback

I don't buy that the average bowler can't afford an increase in dues. If you can't afford $40 once a year, then you definitely can't afford $20 a week for league. Not to mention bowling balls, shoes, lessons, multiple leagues, tournaments, travel expenses, subscriptions to BJI, BTM, xtrafram, 11thframe, etc. I just don't buy it.

I'm willing to listen to the idea that USBC may not need to exist, but I'm not willing to listen to "they're useless" and "I want to send them less money" in the same argument. Sorry dudes, but they're useless to you, because what you send to them is useless.

I think the USBC needs a "donate here" button so I can make extra contributions.

I'm personally not a fan of Chad's decisions as of late. He's definitely stuck in a "this is how we used to do it, so that's how we're going to do it" mindset. Hiding the patterns at nationals, for no logical reason, which in turn killed the livestreams and almost all of the publicity of the Open Championships really irked me. Mostly because I loved watching the livestreams. His idea of rolling back ball technology is misguided at best, and fatal to many companies at worst. I'll agree with you guys on needing some new leadership. I won't agree that USBC doesn't serve a good purpose, that bowling doesn't need them, and that they don't deserve to prosper.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:09 PM
BBE League Champion
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

I agree the USBC is not good for bowling,bowlers can always find tournaments,sweepers and money games to make cash.Why not let the individual lanes determine what "shot" they put out for a tournament and anyone can bowl in it, show up on monday and the top 100 make it.As for the league level,why sanction?to bowl a city or state event?the cost per singles,doubles and all events is $25 per event with $6 going to the prize fund.That is criminal, a local proprietor could run the same event.Again plenty of stuff to bowl in the area different formats different shot.I guess the question is what do you mean save bowling? from what or whom?

Old 12-30-2017, 01:01 PM
IBMA Member
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
... and actually, it would be similar to sending more money to the government -- because the D.C. denizens don't know what they're doing, either.
  Thanks from:

Old 12-30-2017, 01:40 PM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback
ignitebowling's facebook Page

With the exception of 300/800/900 awards are done by the local association not the national. So just eliminate awards all together and save $$$$$.

You also have to alot money to fund nationals, team usa, and all other usbc current programs and facilities.

Giving bowling alleys money to revamp their business can also end badly. Honesty not being a strong suit in business and no guarantees the center wouldn't then be sold for a profit and taken over by someone who miss manages it into closure.

That still doesn't address 36 week league seasons and the commitment that it takes that most are not willing to do. Go ask your non bowling friends if they would be interested in a 36 week league of any kind and see what they say.

Money isn't needed to save bowling. Bowling is great. Bowling centers are responsible for their leagues and their business. Most use a 1950s business model for leagues and can't figure out why it doesn't work. Money will not change that. There are good ideas in your post. They don't address most of the real issues.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:27 PM
Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

The league bowlers around here refuse to increase their weekly league fees by a $1 to offset the bowling center lineage increases. They don't care that this money would go back into their own prize fund. They would never agree to an arrangement where USBC fees increase their weekly league fees by $1.

Bowlers, for the most part, are extremely fickle. They complain that the USBC "does nothing" for them. When you propose a model where the USBC would potentially be able to offer more valuable services to bowlers, and the bowling community, for a minimal increase in dues they refuse because it would cost them more money.

The local associations [at least around here] spend a large portion of their budget on awards for association members. The awards are trinkets such as highlighters, rosin bags, pens, flashlights, key chains, etc. Essentially the best that China has to offer. The same bowlers that complain they receive nothing from the USBC are the same ones that throw these trinkets away as soon as they get them. Again, fickle as fickle can be. "I get nothing! Oh, I got this award but I threw it away."

The first thing the USBC needs to do, in conjunction with the PBA, PWBA, and the BPAA, is change the public's perception of bowling as a sport. Unfortunately, people don't see bowling as a sport. They see it as a recreational activity/game. There was a discussion in my office the other day about athletes and sports among some of the "office chair sports experts". They all unanimously proclaimed that bowling is not a sport, because it is something "they can go down the street and do just like the guys on TV". I kept my mouth shut because it wasn't worth arguing over. Sure there are attempts to change the public opinion with concepts like blue-dyed lane oil, etc. This simply goes over the heads of casual viewers.

There needs to be more focus on the athletes. Their injuries. Their training. Their travel and daily schedules. Their off lane commitment to bowling. Their interaction with the community and the fans. Show the casual viewer the life these touring players have and the sacrifices they make to be able to compete at a professional level. Use real-time telemetry on the lane to show the moves these bowlers are making frame after frame to keep the ball in play and in the pocket.

A televised segment where they take regular, randomly selected league bowlers and have them throw a pick-up game against the pros on the pros condition would further show that not all things are created equal. The league guys can use their personal equipment...the pros just walk in to a center, find participants, and they bowl on the pro shot. This would be an absolute blast to watch.

When the public at large finally understands that the bowling they watch on TV is simply not the same game they play at their local center, they will see the sport aspect of the game. Instead, we have companies such as AMF creating things like Hyper Bowling [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GygFC824guA] which is the LAST thing that needs to happen to bowling. Creating an arcade game out of bowling is one step closer to killing traditional bowling.

There is no quick fix to revive league bowling. It will take years to change public perception. Throwing millions of dollars at the USBC isn't the total solution. Yes, they need funds to promote bowling as a sport. However a huge financial commitment should come after the general public appreciates competitive bowling as something more than a recreational activity.
Brunswick Vintage Inferno
Columbia300 White Dot

Old 12-30-2017, 05:34 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

We have been throwing money at USBC. They never got it right, simple. Any other business model that has the history of ABC / USBC would not have lasted this long. They were / are riding on the coat tails of the industry. Now that the industry is wearing a shorter jacket?

Look at the PBA. Honestly, it's the most boring sporting event I have ever watched. Right up there with snail racing. It wasn't always this way. It now seems, someone comes along with a "latest and greatest" idea for the telecasts, it becomes even more horrific. I can't think of any other sport telecast that goes through such great lengths to change the appearance of a sport.

The USBC is like a car running out of gas in the middle of the desert. Everyone thought it would never run out of gas, no one was looking at the gauge, and now they're waiting for someone to come along.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:01 PM
B O W L E R
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Site Administrator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
RevZiLLa's USBC Achievements PageID: 2357-5558
RevZiLLa's eBay Home Page RevZiLLa's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?

Here are a couple of random old telecasts. Are they better than what we see now?

..Victory Is An Addiction

Last edited by RevZiLLa; 12-30-2017 at 06:29 PM.
  Thanks from:

Old 12-30-2017, 06:39 PM

F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Trade Feedback: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tywithay Send a message via Yahoo to Tywithay
iTrader Rating: (14)
Submit Trade Feedback
Tywithay's facebook Page

We had a couple leagues vote against sanctioning this year because it went up from $21 to $25. I would happily pay more, if they used the money to better the game. Sadly, most bowlers won't. Plus, there's nothing in the past that gives me the impression they would use the money wisely.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:36 PM
Senior Member - Survived to Retirement!
US Military Service
BBE Ain't Got One YET Club
F.O.S
Cranker

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 1 reviews
iTrader Rating: (1)
Submit Trade Feedback
Red face Re: I can save bowling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywithay View Post
We had a couple leagues vote against sanctioning this year because it went up from $21 to $25. I would happily pay more, if they used the money to better the game. Sadly, most bowlers won't. Plus, there's nothing in the past that gives me the impression they would use the money wisely.
Sadly? For some maybe, but your last part pretty much sums it up. (quote) "Plus, there's nothing in the past that gives me the impression they would use the money wisely." (unquote) Personally I think your "Plus" should have been "because". I'm one of the many who would pay a bit more, for more. But as it stands in present times, don't think that will happen anytime soon.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:06 AM
BBE League Champion
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevZiLLa View Post
Here are a couple of random old telecasts. Are they better than what we see now?

look at the crowds,this is far better than today thanks

Old 01-01-2018, 03:44 AM
IBPSIA Member

BBE Authorized Retailer

F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

USBC has a monopoly and the leaders can't get it right. Nuff said...
  Thanks from:

Old 01-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback

Two things come to mind in reference to this thread. 1. I watch bowling on Youtube but only the tournaments that showcased true talent. Any of the women's bowling prior to 2003, when the ladies tour folded, and any of the men's tour prior to the showcasing of Jason Belmonte and Pete Weber, and any of the PBA Senior tour that doesn't include Pete Weber. 2. I bowl in three leagues, 2 of which are non sanctioned because at the local level for recreational bowlers, they don't want to pay for nothing, which is what they get from the USBC. Go to any of our local houses and you will find that league fees run $9-$13 because nobody wants to pay more. When the house says they have to have $1 more for lineage, bowlers drop out.

There are some high dollar leagues around for those gamblers who can't bowl without a bucket of money to be had, but there are few if any scratch leagues around anymore. With guys and gals regularly bowling 220-230 with the new high tech equipment and leagues handicapping at 100% of 220-230 why bother with scratch leagues. There are Thursday night high average leagues around, which draw the top bowlers and some hopefuls, but with the balls that chew up the lanes, and teams conspiring to destroy the other team's shot, they are too nasty to tempt a mid ability bowler.

What is the answer? The same as my answer to the behemoth our Federal Gov't has become. Bring control over local affairs back to the local level and stop the gluttony at the National level. Put the money where it benefits the end consumers, not to the Fat Cats at the National level.
  Thanks from:

Old 02-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback

If you want to save bowling, do what golf does. If you want your scores sanctioned, pay a small fee and get your scores witnessed by center staff, or have the scoring machine automatically upload the scores to the USBC.

I don't have time to join any league, let alone one that lasts 30-36 weeks. My job does not allow it, and my lifestyle does not allow it. If I want tickets to an event, I don't want to have to work that around bowling to make sure I don't miss a league night, and consequently still have to pay whether I am there or not.

There is no reason one should have to be in a league to get scores sanctioned or recognized. This could have been fixed decades ago, but the USBC ignored it because they could not face the fact most Americans cannot commit to leagues anymore. That is why the sport declined. Period. Bowling became too much of an inconvenience.