USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 31 reviews
iTrader Rating: (31)
Submit Trade Feedback
FrankieD's USBC Achievements PageID: 1876-7026
FrankieD's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?
Re: Goodbye Lane #1

if the house is for sale,he stated he is no actively pursuing this,bowling is going downhill and will need a miracle to survive as a sport and not as a sideshow(lunar bowling dave-n-busters).It is messed up what happened to Lane#1,the core-coverstock combo was/is ahead of the curve,the big fish swallow the little fish,look at all the ball companies that merged,they keep selling balls every 3 months the next best thing comes out,more money in their pocket,they are not concened with the sport.I hope Lane #1 comes back,but what is best for him is what counts thanks Ritchie for all you done and continue to do.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:03 PM
BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 18 reviews
iTrader Rating: (18)
Submit Trade Feedback
milorafferty's eBay Home Page

Good lord some people are full of themselves.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:47 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback

It's one thing to try to sell a house. It's another thing to go fishing. They're kind of the same, but quite different in the end.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:10 PM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback
ignitebowling's facebook Page

Anyone capable/interested in buying isn't posting on this thread. You'd be contacting Richie privately and going from there.

Richie believes strongly in his cores and other ideas and I don't fault him for that. Maybe the right person could do something with the name Lane 1 and the diamond core.

In the end you will be paying someone else to make your product, use their coverstocks, and at a lower quantity pay a higher price per ball to then sell your product against the company that made it along with others. In this day and time your chances for success are low.

Proof is in the many other brands that come and go over the years. Wish I had tried Lane 1 in the Brunswick days….RIP

Old 12-27-2017, 05:02 PM

Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 24 reviews
iTrader Rating: (24)
Submit Trade Feedback

Wait a minute you could build your own plant? WHY DIDN"T YOU?

Now I'm out and happy to be out. But, I can always get back in anytime I want, because I still have all my molds and can build my own ball plant any damn time I please. That's all I have to do, if I have to and/or choose to do so..? Trust me, if I have to build my own plant, that's be the other manufacturers worst nightmare..!!

Old 12-27-2017, 08:01 PM
IBPSIA Member

BBE Authorized Retailer

F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTBYJ View Post
Wait a minute you could build your own plant? WHY DIDN"T YOU?

Now I'm out and happy to be out. But, I can always get back in anytime I want, because I still have all my molds and can build my own ball plant any damn time I please. That's all I have to do, if I have to and/or choose to do so..? Trust me, if I have to build my own plant, that's be the other manufacturers worst nightmare..!!
Didn't have the knowledge of running a plant in the early years and didn't have the finances in the later years, as well as becoming burnt out in this day and age. I need a vacation from bowling to recharge the batteries 😎

Old 12-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback

Richie, I don't blame you for getting out. I am sure Dick Haas is glad he got out in the early 1990's as Star Trak and Star Traxx were acquired. He got out before the reactive resin madness when everyone's arsenal went from two balls to twenty.

I know death is hard to accept. Everything in the world, animate and inanimate, dies.

Bowling is simply a sport that has passed on, or should I say competitive bowling. There is a reason why Golf still has millions of viewers every week and bowling does not. I assure you there are 1000's of reasons why, but Golf is on the decline as well. Competitive bowling had a good 100 year run from 1895 when the ABC started to the 1995 or so when the rapid decline started. The real decline started in 1979, but survived pretty well up until the 1990's. (Odd bowling's biggest decline happed in the reactive era.)

So I think Richie did the right thing. 25 years is a long time, but he is still a young man. Time to do something else in life. I left bowling 6 1/2 years ago and I have not looked back.

Someday I may throw a game or two at Dave and Busters or some recreational house somewhere, but the days of leagues, tourneys, travel etc. are long gone for me.

My friends that played pool are all gone now, or they quit playing. All the pool houses in town are completely gone. Pool is another sport that is basically no more. The film The Color Of Money helped to save it for a short time, a very short time.

We have to face the fact life changes and what we love eventually fades away. I am just glad I am old enough to have bowled from 1969-1979, the classic age of bowling. From age 6 to 17 were great and every family bowled, but no reason for Richie to stay in a dying business.

Again, good luck Richie.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Buzzsaw View Post
Didn't have the knowledge of running a plant in the early years and didn't have the finances in the later years, as well as becoming burnt out in this day and age. I need a vacation from bowling to recharge the batteries 😎
I mentioned that in a quote, but then again; that was a good decision not too. Dick Haas bought the Manhattan Rubber plant in Lagrange Georgia in 1972 and moved it to Kent, Ohio. He was out of business 17 years later.

Maybe if he had let Columbia or Ebonite pour his stuff, he would not be out of business.

Roto Star founded by the Yetito family in New York almost folded until Columbia poured their balls until Storm took over the name.

Very few individuals have been able to make it, and every time they fold. There have been over 100 bowling ball companies since the 1960's, and all but 8 National brands are left.