Go Back   BBE BowlingBallExchange > Misc Bowling Forums > Ball Drilling & Dynamics
Wicked Hook and Devastating Carry!
Always on? 

Too much hook?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Where did the pins go?
BBE Ain't Got One YET Club
Tweener

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback
Too much hook?

I was just wondering, why are _some_ my balls hooking so much? My C300 HyJinx, Ebonite Complete NV and Tornado (believe it or not) are hooking so much, that it is impossible to control them on any lane conditions I've ever bowled on. The only two balls I have that really work for me are my Hammer HawgZilla, 4000grit polished to a mirror finish and my Storm NXT-G Domination, 2000grit polished. The other balls are OOB, about 30-40 games each, the HawgZilla and NXT-G have about 200 games each. Sure the two balls that work have more games on them, but those balls worked for me from the day I got 'em drilled, the others have never really worked. I usually throw the ball about 16-17mph and have approx 500rpm revrate. My axis rotation is about 30-45 degrees and very little axis tilt. The oil pattern I'm currently bowling on is about 42' med-heavy modified THS. Ant this is the most oil I've seen at my local alley. This is really puzzling me as I've seen other high-rev guys throw similar balls with similar layouts and they have no problem controlling their hook with those balls. Any of you have ideas what to do to keep my balls from overhooking. I've tried flattening my wrist and cutting down on the revrate to about 300rpm to no avail. The balls keep hooking like crazy and have a funny roll-out reaction (means that they skid and then jerk violently to the right (I'm left-handed) and then stop doing anything).

Thanks in advance,
anlin

PS. I try to post some of the layouts used tomorrow

Last edited by anlin; 10-07-2009 at 01:08 AM.

Re: Too much hook?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM
F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 7 reviews
iTrader Rating: (7)
Submit Trade Feedback
REman's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

Anlin,

Only speaking for myself. My hook depends very much on my release timing. Early release- ball goes right and hooks a ton, late release, ball goes left and hooks a little. Correct release, ball goes where I aim it and still hooks quite a bit because I have a relatively low speed and relatively higher rev release ( I can't give you numbers because my house just "upgraded" to the early 1990s on their tech). So a medium oil ball for others for is a medium/heavy for me.... and a light oil for others ball is a medium/light for me. Forget a heavy oil ball, can't keep it on the lane on our THS.
Hammer Arson Low Flare
Hammer Taboo Spare

John 17:3

Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Captain Buzzkill
US Military Service
USBC Bronze Level Coach
BBE Chat Moderator
BBE Authorized Retailer

F.O.S
BBE Super Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 17 reviews
iTrader Rating: (17)
Submit Trade Feedback
Overhand's USBC Achievements PageID: 300-15566

By too much hook you mean uncontrollable backend?
You just have few things that stack up the reaction to the extreme.

Under that assumption, things that contribute to an erratic, big backend:

500 revs to 16-17mph is a very high proportion of revs to speed. IF your rev rate is actually that high, then you're going to have to be very consistent in you release and accurate in targeting. Reducing your rev rate would really help that last backend flip.

Your axis tilt also causes a skid flip reaction. Invest practice in coming up the back of the ball with the fingers; you'll have to adjust your timing a little to come out correctly.

Polished equipment wil exagerate the amount of the flip. Duller, weaker covers with tame control drill patterns will help.

Focus on one fix at time and count on your average taking a dip as you learn it and get consistent. The hardest lesson will be to not rip the cover of the ball during the release.

Some video will help us help you...

Let us know what you do and how it works out.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:30 AM
B O W L E R
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Site Administrator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
RevZiLLa's USBC Achievements PageID: 2357-5558
RevZiLLa's eBay Home Page RevZiLLa's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?

If the other high rev guys who aren't experiencing your problem have speed similar to yours (Overhand's discussion of balancing refs and speed), then you have to look at the part of the lane they're playing. Are they deeper inside than you? Do they have a breakpoint further inside the oil or are they swinging it wider?

I'm assuming those other guys are leftys too.

..Victory Is An Addiction

Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Where did the pins go?
Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Some of the other high rev guys are right-handed, some are lefties. They are mostly playing the same lane, starting from approx. 30. board and targeting somewhere about 40' to about 9. or so board. I'm mostly playing the part of the lane as they are, though a bit more inside. The NXT-G has been my favourite since forever because it has almost always worked for me, no matter what. The same can't be said for the other balls (by which I mean the erratic backend reaction). I try to suppy you with pics or descriptions of the layouts used and my PAP if it would help. I'm getting some of those balls replugged anyways (cracked bridge...), might as well make them not hook like crazy.. Btw. are there any surface adjustments I should consider?

Old 10-07-2009, 01:41 AM
F.O.S
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 7 reviews
iTrader Rating: (7)
Submit Trade Feedback

Like the other guy said try dulling them down you can take say a ball at 4000+ polish take to 4000 and knock polish off still getting good length but take some snap out of it or try 2000 dull so it will burn energy but noit just burn up...

:

Quantum Fire
Liberator

Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Where did the pins go?
Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

I actually tried dulling up the tornado and hyjinx, but in both cases it just made the violent jerk stronger and earlier. Taking a ball's surface up to 4000 and polishing it then has on the other hand worked pretty well. I'm thinking of trying 4000+mirror finish on all of the strong balls as it is the only surface that has worked so far on a strong ball (HawgZilla). I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:35 AM
I wanna large farva
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jbuzz31
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
jbuzz31's eBay Home Page

take some hand out of it. 500+ revs at 16-17 MPH is a bad combo. with that many revs your ideal speed would be around 18-19 mph