Full Roller release
Old 10-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Tweener

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
Full Roller release

At our lanes yesterday, a friend, who rolls a full roller, asked me how he could get away from having a full roller release. I didn't have a clue for an answer. I am a stroker. He uses a finger tip ball, said he got the ball from someone, so I imagine it isn't even drilled for him, but his oil track is definitely full roller. Hand position? Index, little finger positions? Any idea?

Re: Full Roller release
Old 10-13-2009, 05:42 PM

F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Trade Feedback: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tywithay Send a message via Yahoo to Tywithay
iTrader Rating: (13)
Submit Trade Feedback
Tywithay's facebook Page

You know the expression you have to crawl before you can walk? I would probably start by reverting back to a straight ball. Get him used to throwing the ball with his hand behind the ball as opposed to coming from the side like a full roller. Once he is comfortable keeping his hand behind the ball, slowly start the hooking motion into play. It will probably take a lot of time to change it. Speed and hand position are probably the hardest parts to change, but the approach and everything else is essentially the same. I'd advise him to contact a coach in the area to work with though. Having someone break down everything piece by piece hands on is easier than reading about it.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Stroker

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback
no open tenths's eBay Home Page

For me anyway (and I have been struggling with this for the last1.5 to 2 years) the big thing is getting some time seperation between the thumb exiting the ball and the fingers. I tend to get more full roller type track when everything comes out at the same time.
It also helps me to concentrate on my ring finger throughout the shot.
Hope this helps some.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:28 PM
F.O.S
Tweener

Submit Trade Feedback

Any reason why he wants out of a full roller? I throw the ball 19mph and get decent revs...the ball decimates the pins. I throw a full roller. The drill works for me. My ball was tracking over the thumb. So I went with a full roller drill. The ball tracks now between the thumb and fingers. Revs up quicker and hooks a ton. Just because you throw full roller doesnt mean you cant have game or belong on the senior circuit.
Not that I am a PBA member... but I am in my second full year bowling averaging right around 200 now. Scores went up when I had my ball drilled to my throwing style (full roller

Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Thanks for all the replies. My friend just got back into bowling after 15 years. I don't know why he wants to change, maybe he doesn't think he is normal, I don't know. Personally, I think he needs to get a ball that hasn't been plugged and drilled twice for someone else and use it only because he says it feels good in his hand. I can't relate, I always had a track of about an inch right from my middle finger (left handed), I guess it's because no one he has seen bowl has a track like his, although there are many. I will relay your thoughts. First off, as I told him, he ought to be measured and get the correct span and pitches and make sure the ball is drilled properly for his style. Some people are hard to convince. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Captain Buzzkill
US Military Service
USBC Bronze Level Coach
BBE Chat Moderator
BBE Authorized Retailer

F.O.S
BBE Super Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 17 reviews
iTrader Rating: (17)
Submit Trade Feedback
Overhand's USBC Achievements PageID: 300-15566

When I threw a full roller, I would rotate the right hand TO THE RIGHT; the follow through would be away from the lane. The fingers still come up the right side of the ball (otherwise it would be a backup ball).

Slowing way down and locking up the wrist (maybe a brace for training) and ensuring that the hand/wrist/forearm rotate to the left would get him started.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:34 AM
bowler666
BBE League Champion
BBE Ain't Got One YET Club
F.O.S
Cranker

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 10 reviews
iTrader Rating: (10)
Submit Trade Feedback
bowler666's eBay Home Page

well i would say use a brace like a robbys or a masters but as for me im nearly a full roller i track right by thumb and fingers if not over it, and i throw a huge hook so truly see nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 AM
900 Global/AMF

PBA Hall of Famer

Trade Feedback: 3 reviews
iTrader Rating: (3)
Submit Trade Feedback
TheFreeAgent's eBay Home Page TheFreeAgent's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler666 View Post
well i would say use a brace like a robbys or a masters but as for me im nearly a full roller i track right by thumb and fingers if not over it, and i throw a huge hook so truly see nothing wrong with it.
Bowling is not about how much of a hook you can throw. It is about having fun with friends and being versitile (spelling?) . They saying straighter is greater is one of the only sayings that mean anything in bowling. Look at walter ray he doesnt throw a huge hook becuase straighter is greater.

Now as for your friend t-road, tell him there is nothing wrong with being a full roller, it has benifits and down sides. Some benifits are when a lot of people struggle they still can score becuase it seems like they can get the ball further down the lane. Also there is only one way to drill a full roller (which is also the best drilling for a 2 handed bowler) and they dont see an over lap in there arsenal when they buy new stuff. With regular bowlers, i dont know what to call us, we could drill 2 solids a little different but they could roll the same, when you drill them they will have the same drilling and you will see a different reaction. I try to throw a full roller on some shots because it rolls better.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:33 PM

Cranker

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

First, get that ball redrilled!
Second, see what happens when the thump leaves the ball. Most full rollers tend to flip the thump away from the handpalm, when they release the ball.
Let him put his thump inwards the palm (direction pinkeyfinger) when he realeses the ball and squeeze the fingers on top of the thump.
Ten to one that he throws a semi roller!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:33 AM
US Military Service
Cranker

Submit Trade Feedback
MikeD's USBC Achievements PageID: 2193-864
MikeD's eBay Home Page

Somehow I've started throwing a full roller about half the time. I have no idea what happened. I started this season tracking about 2-3" from fingers and 1" from thumb. Now I'm like .5-1" from fingers and covering thumb hole. This is something new for me and not really sure what has happened. It all started when I began throwing a ball that was given to me. Granted, the span has been changed to fit me, although the PAP/pin relation is unchanged. Could that be the cause of this?

I guess I'm turning too soon and coming around the ball. I'm going to try to fix it before I get my stuff drilled for a full roller.

Then again, I don't know that being a FR is an automatic death sentence either. Anyone know what changes might happen if I get a ball drilled for full roller that isn't drilled that way?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:16 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

Realistically, the ball should be taken to a pro shop and checked for fit. For example, if the thumb is too big, or the span is too long, the bowler has to pinch their thumb to hang on to the ball. Pinching the thumb causes the wrist break back and turn down prematurely. When this happens, the thumb is located at anywhere from the 8 to 9 o'clock position at the point of release. One of two things will then occur, the thumb will remain in this position, or the thumb will rotate clockwise. Either can create a roll pattern that causes the ball to roll between the thumb and fingers.

There are other elements too. Safe bet is to start with the fit of the ball.

--
TomaHawk