Suggestions for ball\drilling layout for dry lanes
Old 06-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Fluffer

Trade Feedback: 5 reviews
iTrader Rating: (5)
Submit Trade Feedback
Suggestions for ball\drilling layout for dry lanes

Hey Guys,

Got a question, at the current house i'm bowling summer league in, the lane conditions become awful in the summer because of the humidity in st. louis. Every ball i have thrown there burns up when making its move to the pocket, I have seen many other bowlers in the league having the same issue. I have made many adjustments and still just cant seem to be able to figure this out. I currently have a 2 Storm Nanos (one polished, and one at factory surface), Reign of Fire, Victory Road, and Tropical Heat Pearl, Track 505T, 300T, and a Motiv X Recon (Silver Pearl). they all do the same thing start out strong and die at the end, I would expect this from the Nanos, and Reign of Fire, and possibly the 505T but the not the other balls. I have the Victory Road drilled pin under ring finger, with mass bias kicked out to the right, tropical heat pin about an inch over to the right from ring finger and mass bias kicked out to the right, and the motiv pin above ring finger (not sure where the mass bias is located) Normally I wouldn't ask this question and try to adjust, but I have tried many adjustments, and have seen many bowlers with different balls and styles have the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on a new piece of equipment that would perform well on these type of conditions? Id like to stay a step above the competition. Thanks!

Re: Suggestions for ball\drilling layout for dry lanes
Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 AM
* WARNING * NO SALES ALLOWED ON BBE *
BBE Ain't Got One YET Club
* WARNING * TRADE WITH CAUTION *
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: -1 reviews
iTrader Rating: (-1)
Submit Trade Feedback
taztheman's USBC Achievements PageID: 8584-49444

I personally have the Silver Recon at OOB finish pin above middle finger specifically for these type of conditions. I am currently using it on the Team USA Bejing pattern (short oil 35 FT.) and it is working pretty well. So I would personally say your layout isnt right on this ball because it shouldnt be rolling so early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeab2018 View Post
Hey Guys,

Got a question, at the current house i'm bowling summer league in, the lane conditions become awful in the summer because of the humidity in st. louis. Every ball i have thrown there burns up when making its move to the pocket, I have seen many other bowlers in the league having the same issue. I have made many adjustments and still just cant seem to be able to figure this out. I currently have a 2 Storm Nanos (one polished, and one at factory surface), Reign of Fire, Victory Road, and Tropical Heat Pearl, Track 505T, 300T, and a Motiv X Recon (Silver Pearl). they all do the same thing start out strong and die at the end, I would expect this from the Nanos, and Reign of Fire, and possibly the 505T but the not the other balls. I have the Victory Road drilled pin under ring finger, with mass bias kicked out to the right, tropical heat pin about an inch over to the right from ring finger and mass bias kicked out to the right, and the motiv pin above ring finger (not sure where the mass bias is located) Normally I wouldn't ask this question and try to adjust, but I have tried many adjustments, and have seen many bowlers with different balls and styles have the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on a new piece of equipment that would perform well on these type of conditions? Id like to stay a step above the competition. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 AM
huh?
BBE League Champion
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 22 reviews
iTrader Rating: (22)
Submit Trade Feedback
goaway65's USBC Achievements PageID: 1574-3111
goaway65's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

where exactly do you think the oil is ... is this a broken down house shot im assuming, if it is you need to find that oil early to delay the hook and send it out to the drier backend so the ball finishes. And it also could be the oil isnt being layed down properly.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Dick Ritger Camp Coach

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 4 reviews
iTrader Rating: (4)
Submit Trade Feedback
TCHSbowler's USBC Achievements PageID: 8287-1958
TCHSbowler's eBay Home Page TCHSbowler's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?

i really like taking a weak ball(i had a backlash) and putting the pin just over the bridge and putting the cg in your palm, both on the centerline of course. gave me a smooth arcy finish, which in dry lanes is what seems to do the trick. i know of a lot of people that like this drilling for both strong and weak symmetrical balls.
i am getttinga tropical breeze for my dry lane ball this year and i am most likely drilling it like this

Corning Community College:
(Sport)Ave: 189.263
Sport League Final Ave: 185
Summer Sport League Ave: 188

Old 06-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Stroker

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHSbowler View Post
i really like taking a weak ball(i had a backlash) and putting the pin just over the bridge and putting the cg in your palm, both on the centerline of course. gave me a smooth arcy finish, which in dry lanes is what seems to do the trick. i know of a lot of people that like this drilling for both strong and weak symmetrical balls.
i am getting a tropical breeze for my dry lane ball this year and i am most likely drilling it like this
I use this same layout for dry lanes, but if they are that burnt up, try a polished urethane ball. Some companies still make some with strong weight blocks.

Also. If you keep moving left, and are still burrnig up...a couple things. you might need to lay off the revs,and stay tighter to the inside oil. A common mistake bowlers make when the lanes burn up; Is to move inside, but continue to swing the ball into the burnt up track. Stay inside the normal track. Hope this gets you a Deuce, Roger

Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback

Hey, I am back. I meant to tell about a drilling Denny Torgersen showed me. It is called a 105 degree negative barbell. I love it. If you have any oil and ball speed this will rock on dry lanes. also; Yuo can fluff it a bit, and it will not over react. Later

Damn I miss bowling.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

I think the tropical Heat will do the trick. Try lofting and aiming for the arrows to get more length.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback

I have a Motiv Silver Recon as well. I have it drilled with pin over the ring finger, and the CG positioned left and above center grip (I'm right handed) giving me 3/8oz negative side weight, and 1/2oz finger weight. I turn the ball at around 300rpm and it is outstanding on dry lanes. This ball hits a ton, too.

Giving it negative side weight reduces the ball's overall hook potential, and finger weight delays the reaction 'til further down the lane.

The Recon has no mass bias mark. The CG is a small pin-dimple.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilantebowling View Post
I have a Motiv Silver Recon as well. I have it drilled with pin over the ring finger, and the CG positioned left and above center grip (I'm right handed) giving me 3/8oz negative side weight, and 1/2oz finger weight. I turn the ball at around 300rpm and it is outstanding on dry lanes. This ball hits a ton, too.

Giving it negative side weight reduces the ball's overall hook potential, and finger weight delays the reaction 'til further down the lane.

The Recon has no mass bias mark. The CG is a small pin-dimple.
That is very close to a 105 degree negative barbell. Love this drilling

Another great tip for burnt lanes. Look at the ten pin. Move left throw at ten pin...if not enough, move lsft further and throw at the ten pin. Continue until you hit the pocket. Many bowlers look at the break point well past the arrows these days, because of all the wide open "blocks"...errr I mean wide open house shots. So looking at the ten pin will create the most length projection possible.

Good Luck