Go Back   BBE BowlingBallExchange > Misc Bowling Forums > Ball Drilling & Dynamics
Wicked Hook and Devastating Carry!
Always on? 

Bill Hall Tri-Grip
Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 AM
F.O.S
Senior BBE Contributor

Trade Feedback: 32 reviews
iTrader Rating: (32)
Submit Trade Feedback
dougb's eBay Home Page dougb's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?
Bill Hall Tri-Grip

Well I'm about a month into trying Bill Hall's new Tri-Grip fitting system and I can say decisively this is the best thing I've done for my game in a long time.

I've been bowling for about 5-6 years now. I was originally fitted by a decent pro shop and later switched to a new shop who didn't check my fit but did switch me to a Collier Grip, which I really liked. I had periodic release issues with my ball hanging up on my thumb some times and going over the top. He looked at the calluses on my thumb and changed my thumb pitch, which worked well. But occasionally my thumb still hung up and my shot was killed.

I switched to another shop and was completely refitted using the "Wikifit" system, including the Morich fitting tubes. My span was shortened and my pitches changed and I saw an immediate 15 pin bump in my game. I had never noticed the shoulder pain I had or how much I was muscling the ball. But still I felt like my thumb wasn't always getting a clean release.

Finally, about a month or two later Bill Hall came to that shop and he laid out a Brunswick Ringer for me using the measurements from the WikiFit. At first I had a hard time completely relaxing my hand, wrist, and arm, because this ball literally fit like a glove. All of my release issues were gone as the ball came cleanly off my thumb at the bottom of the swing, shot after shot. I am an up-the-back-of-the-ball bowler with a lot of forward roll and Bill increased my axis rotation, effortlessly giving me angles to the pocket I had to force before.

If there was any doubt in my mind about paying the money to switch over my other equipment, I went to the lanes today for practice and threw 11 in a row, and this after countless 4, 5, and 6-baggers with this ball. It was unlimited bowling so I didn't enter my name, hence I have no idea what sort of scores I was posting. I don't want to FIGJAM here, only to say this average bowler is really liking this fit.

Here's a pic of the ball. I don't think you can really see anything except the finger inserts are tilted toward my CLT and the ring finger appears dropped. I offer up a pic of my Aura by comparison, which used the WikiFit system. Bill didn't share what he was doing with me, but he didn't look at my hand at all -- he just went off my measurements. And he didn't use a ProSect when he laid it out, only a little ruler and a grease pencil. He said he spent a few years studying kinesiology and other fitting systems when he developed this.

I highly recommend anyone having release issues to track down one of the shops on this list and try it out: http://billhallbowling.com/index.php?id_cms=10&controller=cms
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130308_095804.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	13918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130308_095218.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	13919  

Re: Bill Hall Tri-Grip
Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Cranker

Trade Feedback: 1 reviews
iTrader Rating: (1)
Submit Trade Feedback

It just looks like your ring is drop a bit and the driller was drunk when he put in the inserts

Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 AM
BBE Ain't Got One YET Club
F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 12 reviews
iTrader Rating: (12)
Submit Trade Feedback
lane1mobster's USBC Achievements PageID: 9005-21386
Buy me a Soda?

Damn it Doug! Your killin me dude! I might have to change everything up! I have been bowling with you from the start and am happy you found something that works!!!!!
I noticed that that is LDOG's pro shop that is also doing that fitting! Have you tried it Lawrence?????

DV8 RUCKUS

Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Brickguy221

F.O.S
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 15 reviews
iTrader Rating: (15)
Submit Trade Feedback

I'm sure it is not a CLT drilling, but just looking at the picture, it looks like a CLT drilling.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Tweener

Trade Feedback: 8 reviews
iTrader Rating: (8)
Submit Trade Feedback
mistabeck's USBC Achievements PageID: 11-23180
mistabeck's eBay Home Page

I broke down and bought the video after testing the grip. It is a great product and I would recommend it to everyone. I love the fit and the ball fly's off my hand.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:09 PM
giant killer
F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Trade Feedback: 16 reviews
iTrader Rating: (16)
Submit Trade Feedback
Buy me a Soda?

1st i have heard of this, need to look into some more, very interesting

thanks for posting Doug

Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM

F.O.S
Fluffer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 9 reviews
iTrader Rating: (9)
Submit Trade Feedback

Doug you wrote above "Bill didn't share what he was doing with me, but he didn't look at my hand at all -- he just went off my measurements. "

I don't understand how he can measure up a ball and not look at your hand. Is he assuming that what you have currently fits you and is modifying based on that? What about finger flexibility and pitches, etc?

I've been looking at both Bill Hall's Tri-Grip and also Carl Hoffmire's Max-Y-Grip
http://www.gripcheck.net/About-Us.html

I looked at the pro shop list you included and the closest one to me would be Jack Jurek, about 6 hours or so away. Carl Hoffmire is about 1 hour away so I may give him a try. If I do go, I'll post about my experience.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM
F.O.S
Senior BBE Contributor

Submit Trade Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS View Post
Doug you wrote above "Bill didn't share what he was doing with me, but he didn't look at my hand at all -- he just went off my measurements. "

I don't understand how he can measure up a ball and not look at your hand. Is he assuming that what you have currently fits you and is modifying based on that? What about finger flexibility and pitches, etc?

I've been looking at both Bill Hall's Tri-Grip and also Carl Hoffmire's Max-Y-Grip
http://www.gripcheck.net/About-Us.html

I looked at the pro shop list you included and the closest one to me would be Jack Jurek, about 6 hours or so away. Carl Hoffmire is about 1 hour away so I may give him a try. If I do go, I'll post about my experience.
I had my fit redone a few months before this using the Morich fitting system, so he went of that chart initially. I don't know what adjustments he made to that fit's pitches or span but the ball he did for me looks and feels different.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Tweener

Trade Feedback: 8 reviews
iTrader Rating: (8)
Submit Trade Feedback
mistabeck's USBC Achievements PageID: 11-23180
mistabeck's eBay Home Page

Pitches will change on all of the holes. The oval degree will also change on the thumb slug.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:22 PM
giant killer
F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback
Buy me a Soda?

somebody should hit him up to do a BBE Q & A with the expert

Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Brickguy221

F.O.S
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 15 reviews
iTrader Rating: (15)
Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlerDawg View Post

Dawg .... +1 .... I am all for that.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Let's Go Yankees!

Tweener

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 4 reviews
iTrader Rating: (4)
Submit Trade Feedback
Bowling 300 900's eBay Home Page

I give my endorsement to seeing Carl Hoffmire. I've used his Max Y Grip and it is indeed a effective option for those looking for an alternative to their current grip feel.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 AM
F.O.S
Senior BBE Contributor

Submit Trade Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlerDawg View Post
My driller is sharing the request with Bill.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 PM
giant killer
F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback
Buy me a Soda?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback

Because of our close proximity to PBA events, we'll see a variety of tour balls that have been given to kids and brought to our shop. A few of the balls appeared to have grip layouts similar to those described in this thread.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. A long time ago, I laid out something similar to the Hall grip, my driller recommended against it. Reason, it could possibly weaken my hand position, causing the hand and ball to tilt, the weight of the ball would be too close to the inside of my hand. I did it anyway. The ball laid in my palm perfectly, but just as the driller had suggested, at the point of release, the ball tipped downward. The driller then said, a 1/4 inch offset should be sufficient, this would keep the ball orientated toward the center of the hand.

That experience led me to look closely at the more successful bowlers on the tour. It's not surprising, most of the them use a grip that would appear to be somewhat standard. In other words, the thumb is on the center line. The only thing that was different, they may or may not have a dropped ring finger.

Bowling is becoming so saturated with gimmicks. There are no gimmicks when it comes to shooting a basketball, throwing a football, or a baseball for that matter. Does this suggest that bowlers are gullible?

--
TomaHawk

Last edited by TomaHawk; 04-24-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM
giant killer
F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback
Buy me a Soda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomaHawk View Post
Because of our close proximity to PBA events, we'll see a variety of tour balls that have been given to kids and brought to our shop. A few of the balls appeared to have grip layouts similar to those described in this thread.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. A long time ago, I laid out something similar to the Hall grip, my driller recommended against it. Reason, it could possibly weaken my hand position, causing the hand and ball to tilt, the weight of the ball would be too close to the inside of my hand. I did it anyway. The ball laid in my palm perfectly, but just as the driller had suggested, at the point of release, the ball tipped downward. The driller then said, a 1/4 inch offset should be sufficient, this would keep the ball orientated toward the center of the hand.

That experience led me to look closely at the more successful bowlers on the tour. It's not surprising, most of the them use a grip that would appear to be somewhat standard. In other words, the thumb is on the center line. The only thing that was different, they may or may not have a dropped ring finger.

Bowling is becoming so saturated with gimmicks. There are no gimmicks when it comes to shooting a basketball, throwing a football, or a baseball for that matter. Does this suggest that bowlers are gullible?

--
TomaHawk

I hear what you are saying, but having bowled for almost 30 years at this point, and being successful in spite of ill fitting equipment, I am still looking for MY grip solution.

Literally, I have blood in my thumbnail, tendonitis in my elbow, and equipment scattered all about because I can't use it because it doesn't fit.

I have literally had 20 pros hop operators fit me and drill a ball for me, and still no success

So I for one am glad people are still thinking, experimenting, and innovating in this sport, call it a gimmick all you want, but we are not all descended from the Gods, and I am getting older now, and I don't want to be in pain after I bowl, so I will keep looking, until it gets fixed or made right for me

Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

Yup, we've been experimenting forever, Collier, Easter, and many others. There's something for everyone. Sometimes, I think it can be as confusing as it is beneficial. By the time we figure out what works..or..doesn't, another season has passed us by.

--
TomaHawk

Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 AM
F.O.S
Senior BBE Contributor

Submit Trade Feedback
Bill told me he spent 3 years studying kinesiology and all of the other fitting systems in developing the Tri-Grip.

All I can say is that the comfort and release consistency I have now speak for themselves.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 PM
giant killer
F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback
Buy me a Soda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb View Post
Bill told me he spent 3 years studying kinesiology and all of the other fitting systems in developing the Tri-Grip.

All I can say is that the comfort and release consistency I have now speak for themselves.

drool , I want that

Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 AM
F.O.S
Senior BBE Contributor

Submit Trade Feedback

Everyone should watch this video. According to Bill, the grip is based on the hand's natural position.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM
F.O.S
Fluffer

Trade Feedback: 3 reviews
iTrader Rating: (3)
Submit Trade Feedback
ltrain's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

Hello Doug, sent you a pm

Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 AM

BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Trade Feedback: 17 reviews
iTrader Rating: (17)
Submit Trade Feedback

I am now a Pro Shop that offers this service.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM
F.O.S
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 20 reviews
iTrader Rating: (20)
Submit Trade Feedback
raidernation34's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

MeNo, can you do this off of a current span or do you need a complete refitting?
Desperado TSE
Euphoric
Venator
Venator Pearl
Raging Bull Long Horn
Raging BullCharged
Raging BullStampede x 2
Raging Bull
Solaris Blackout
Solaris Requiem
SolarisPlatinum x 2
Epicenter
Aftermath

Aftermath Pearl
Euphoria
Dominion x2
Desperado L.E.
Desperado x2

Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM
F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback
lane1mobster's USBC Achievements PageID: 9005-21386
Buy me a Soda?

Damn I am anxious to try this! Saturday cant get here fast enough!

DV8 RUCKUS

Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM

BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidernation34 View Post
MeNo, can you do this off of a current span or do you need a complete refitting?
I could probably do it without the customer, I would just need or measurement from the bowler and their span chart

Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
F.O.S
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback
El Scorcho's USBC Achievements PageID: 9313-3668
El Scorcho's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoRevs View Post
I am now a Pro Shop that offers this service.
What is your opinion on this method? Is it something everyone should switch to or is it more bowler specific?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

ok....what is the dual angle on the ball you've shown?

--
TomaHawk

Old 05-01-2013, 12:54 PM

BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
What is your opinion on this method? Is it something everyone should switch to or is it more bowler specific?
I like it. I dont want to convert everything now, but I will take my time to make sure its what I want. So far so good!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:11 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

hmmmm....changes everything...including layouts

I remember stating that offsets do exist...meno, along with couple others, argued vehemently that offsets are a figment of an illusion. For an idea of what an offset does for hand placements and core contour, see lower right hand corner of my avatar.

meno..which is it, real, or not real? convenient?

---
TomaHawk

Old 05-01-2013, 01:24 PM

BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomaHawk View Post
hmmmm....changes everything...including layouts

I remember stating that offsets do exist...meno, along with couple others, argued vehemently that offsets are a figment of an illusion. For an idea of what an offset does for hand placements and core contour, see lower right hand corner of my avatar.

meno..which is it, real, or not real? convenient?

---
TomaHawk
I will not answer any of your questions now or ever, so don't waste your time addressing me.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:00 PM
BBE Chat Moderator

F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
PBA Hall of Famer

Trade Feedback: 38 reviews
iTrader Rating: (38)
Submit Trade Feedback
LDOG's USBC Achievements PageID: 266-6144

We've been doing " tri-grip " in our shop for a few months, the results have been great so far

Lawrence

Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

Name:	SUNP0088.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	14247

Position of thumb when holding heavy object. Notice, it is quite contrary to holding objects of lesser weights.

--
TomaHawk

Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 PM
TomaHawk

PBA Hall of Famer

Submit Trade Feedback

Thought I'd add a couple more pics to further illustrate the position of the thumb in relation to the fingers.

Note, in the picture, fingers are set just about evenly on a horizontal line. We then place the thumb on the ball naturally and pick it up. Notice the thumb is pointing straight down a vertical line, there is little or no offset.

Based on the position of the thumb, we could now utilize various lateral thumb pitches. The pitches used would take into consideration several physical traits as they pertain to each individual bowler. Although primary concern would revolve around the physical structure of the hand, of equal importance is the reflex action of that particular bowler and the area of intended lane play. Offsets tend to create an environment where different release techniques are limited.

--
TomaHawk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SUNP0091.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	14257   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0092.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	14258  

Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 28 reviews
iTrader Rating: (28)
Submit Trade Feedback
jmitch's eBay Home Page

MeNo drilled me up a couple with Tri Grip yesterday and so far I am very impressed with the feel and rev rate increase I am seeing from the ball. From someone that has had some elbow and hand issues the past few years, After 5 games yesterday I didn't have any pain in my hand nor elbow.
  Thanks from:

Old 08-03-2013, 05:07 PM

Pro Bowler

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

is this a new thing among bowlers or is this a bowler specific thing?

Senior Executive Of CKC
BRUH!

BALLIN

Old 08-03-2013, 06:18 PM
F.O.S
Senior BBE Contributor

Submit Trade Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickZ View Post
is this a new thing among bowlers or is this a bowler specific thing?
New layout technique Bill Hall developed.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Cranker

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback
kidlost2000's eBay Home Page

The idea makes sense. Just look at your hand palm down with your fingers spread out. Look at your thumb. Then move just your thumb to where it would be in a bowling ball. It is a stretch and apllies a fair amount of stress to the hand and arm.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:48 AM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback

So i drove 70 ish to get my first tri grip fitting, I hope its worth the gas. Cant wait to try it out.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Take off with JET!

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback
pvellenga's eBay Home Page pvellenga's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?

I want to endorse this fitting again. I have had on going hand/wrist issues for the past 6 years or so. I have had two surgeries to repair damage and one to clean it out. I have had the tri-grip for two weeks now and I have been able to easily get through a full night of bowling with little or no discomfort. I am simply amazed at the difference it has made. I was told last night that they have not seen me get out of a ball that clean in a long long time. It is surely worth a try. I am averaging over 242 for five leagues night since the change. Before I was working hard to shoot over 640. The pain by the third game was unbearable and always killed my series. I am not sure but I would guess my last game average was about 155-165 before the tri-grip.

Proud user and endorser of Ole' Roy's Front 9 Ball Cleaner
Proud user and endorser of Ole' Roy's Late Shift Ball Cleaner
Bowling. The only sport where you can do everything right and everything goes wrong!

Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 AM
F.O.S
Senior BBE Contributor

Submit Trade Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvellenga View Post
I want to endorse this fitting again. I have had on going hand/wrist issues for the past 6 years or so. I have had two surgeries to repair damage and one to clean it out. I have had the tri-grip for two weeks now and I have been able to easily get through a full night of bowling with little or no discomfort. I am simply amazed at the difference it has made. I was told last night that they have not seen me get out of a ball that clean in a long long time. It is surely worth a try. I am averaging over 242 for five leagues night since the change. Before I was working hard to shoot over 640. The pain by the third game was unbearable and always killed my series. I am not sure but I would guess my last game average was about 155-165 before the tri-grip.
Glad to hear it's working so well for you. As I posted in a separate thread earlier this week, the Tri Grip is probably the best thing I've ever done for my game.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:00 PM
F.O.S
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 7 reviews
iTrader Rating: (7)
Submit Trade Feedback
bdub's facebook Page

So, if someone wanted to put the tri-grip to a previously drilled ball would just the thumb have to be moved or full plugged and re-drilled?

Old 01-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Stroker

Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
So, if someone wanted to put the tri-grip to a previously drilled ball would just the thumb have to be moved or full plugged and re-drilled?
Ring and thumb will be moved

Old 01-03-2014, 05:49 PM
F.O.S
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 7 reviews
iTrader Rating: (7)
Submit Trade Feedback
bdub's facebook Page

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:49 PM
F.O.S
Senior BBE Contributor

Submit Trade Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech9er View Post
Ring and thumb will be moved
My middle fingers were also plugged and redrilled as the pitch changed.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 PM

BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Submit Trade Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech9er View Post